Mary's Perpetual Virginity

Hey. Can anyone explain to me how to interpret the passage that says that “St. Joseph did not know Mary until after the birth of Jesus.”

I know Mary is a perpetual virgin but I don’t have a defense against this passage.

“Ok kids, be good until I get home.” Does that automatically mean they can be bad when I get home?

That verse just says Joseph didn’t know Mary from the time he met her through the birth of Jesus. It says nothing about what happened afterwards.

Simple, until does not necessarily indicate a reversal of action. If I said my mother was faithful to my father until she died, it does not mean she was unfaithful when she did. The bible also has examples of this. In one epistle if I recall, Paul or Peter says to preach faithfully until he returns. Does that mean they stop preaching, or preach UNfaithfully when he returns?

Scott

[quote=Genesis315]“Ok kids, be good until I get home.” Does that automatically mean they can be bad when I get home?

That verse just says Joseph didn’t know Mary from the time he met her through the birth of Jesus. It says nothing about what happened afterwards.
[/quote]

All right. This Bible must be fundamentalist. It’s the New American Bible. Looking at the passage it says:

Matthew 1:25 - He had no relations with her until she bore a son, and he named him Jesus.

This has got to be a purposefully mistranslated Bible.

[quote=nike248]Hey. Can anyone explain to me how to interpret the passage that says that “St. Joseph did not know Mary until after the birth of Jesus.”

I know Mary is a perpetual virgin but I don’t have a defense against this passage.
[/quote]

I would defend it the same way St. Jerome, The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary , defended against it. The word until does not mean anything about the time after that point, it only speaks of the time previously to that point. If I would say, “He did not repent until his death.” that does not mean he repented after his death

[quote=nike248]All right. This Bible must be fundamentalist. It’s the New American Bible. Looking at the passage it says:

Matthew 1:25 - He had no relations with her until she bore a son, and he named him Jesus.

This has got to be a purposefully mistranslated Bible.
[/quote]

No, even that translation says nothing about what happened after she bore a son.

And by the way, Martin Luther and J. Calvin believed and defended pv, leading to my question, why, according to antiCatholics, are they wrong about perpetual virginity, but right about bible alone?

Scott

[quote=jimmy]I would defend it the same way St. Jerome, The Perpetual Virginity of Blessed Mary , defended against it. The word until does not mean anything about the time after that point, it only speaks of the time previously to that point. If I would say, “He did not repent until his death.” that does not mean he repented after his death
[/quote]

Oh my gosh. I’m too stupid to read that. Thanks for the responses, I now have a defense against it. :thumbsup:

[quote=nike248]Oh my gosh. I’m too stupid to read that. Thanks for the responses, I now have a defense against it. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I would like to add that Jerome was a great linguist. He knew language very well. He was fluent in Latin, Greek, and Hebrew.

[quote=Scott Waddell]And by the way, Martin Luther and J. Calvin believed and defended pv, leading to my question, why, according to antiCatholics, are they wrong about perpetual virginity, but right about bible alone?

Scott
[/quote]

Simple, they are not the popes for the Protestants. As I have encountered this reply many times, “Just because they said it, doesn’t make it true,” they do not believe it because it is not spelled out for them. Sola Scriptura…it’s a death.

[quote=jimmy]I would like to add that Jerome was a great linguist. He knew language very well. He was fluent in Latin, Greek, and Hebrew.
[/quote]

Yes. He is fluent in “big words.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.