Mary's Sacrifice

Can someone explain this passage to me:

As it is the Lord who offers and is offered in every Eucharist, and who, in and with himself, offers the sacrifice of praise of his entire Body, so, in him and with him, Mary offers and is offered in each Eucharistic celebration in that utterly unique way that reflects her role in the redemption her Son achieved for her and for all of us.

Thanks for your responses.

I’ve never heard of this before today.

It sounds similar to something JPII wrote in one of his encyclicals. Context would help. Got a link or a source?

Mary stood at the foot of the cross, offering her Son to God the Father, without trying to interfere with God’s mysterious plans.

That’s how I understand it.

If you can find the sermons of St. John of Avila in translation, there are some excellent explorations of Marian themes in these. I heard Rev. Rob Jack preach about it about a month ago, and in response to my request, he was going to post some of the sermons himself on his website. Last time I checked that hadn’t happened yet. (Fr. Jack did the translations himself but hasn’t been able to find a publisher yet.)

Don’t we all offer ourselves and what we are to God as a unique part of the Body of Christ?

peace
steve

So is Mary offering Jesus and Herself at Mass? Here is the link The Blessed Sacrament and the Virgin Mary

I hope this helps.

Seems to me like they’re off the deep end.

Christ enabled Mary’s suffering to be fruitful.
Mary gave birth to all of us at the foot of the cross. You know that woman travailing in pangs of birth in the book of Revelation? In the encyclical on the Immaculate Conception the Holy Father says:

1. Leaving aside charity towards God, who can contemplate the Immaculate Virgin without feeling moved to fulfill that precept which Christ called peculiarly His own, namely that of loving one another as He loved us? “A great sign,” thus the Apostle St. John describes a vision divinely sent him, appears in the heavens: “A woman clothed with the sun, and with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars upon her head” (Apoc. xii., 1). Everyone knows that this woman signified the Virgin Mary, the stainless one who brought forth our Head. The Apostle continues: "And, being with child, she cried travailing in birth, and was in pain to be delivered" (Apoc. xii., 2). John therefore saw the Most Holy Mother of God already in eternal happiness, yet travailing in a mysterious childbirth. What birth was it? Surely it was the birth of us who, still in exile, are yet to be generated to the perfect charity of God, and to eternal happiness. And the birth pains show the love and desire with which the Virgin from heaven above watches over us, and strives with unwearying prayer to bring about the fulfillment of the number of the elect.

**She who gave birth to our Head, Jesus Christ, must, consequently, give birth to the entire body.

**Therefore Mary is present at all liturgies.

Aren’t we supposed to offer ourselves at Mass as well? I think so. She just did it perfectly, in and under Jesus.

I just don’t understand the meaning of “Mary offers and is offered in each Eucharistic Celebration”, it would be great if someone could explain that to me. Thank you for all of your responses.

She offered her son during the presentation and offered Him again during the Passion. She also offers herself during Mass, just like we are all supposed to.

Thanks, you’ve helped me understand better. I understand know the she offers herself but when the quote said she “is offered”, who is offering her? The Priest?

I think the answer would be the same person who offers you up during mass as well.

Which Church do you belong too?

Perhaps they are referring to the fact that the flesh of Jesus is the flesh of Mary? Just a reasoned guess from what I understand about the Incarnation.

I wouldn’t describe it that way, though because it sails quite close to the idea that Mary is also the sacrifice for our sins. I think it ought to be run past a diocesan censor or the Vatican before it should be expressed like that on a public website.

Jesus’ flesh is from Mary’s but I would not say Jesus’ flesh is the flesh of Mary.

She offers as we all offer ourselves in the Mass

She is offered as the Body of Christ by Christ Himself, as we all are by Christ (through the ministry of the Priest).

At least that’s how I see it.

peace
steve

I would not say Mary was the sacrifice for our sins, as Jesus’ sacrifice was entire and all-sufficient. However, Pope John Paul said that Mary’s suffering were fruitful for the redemption of the world and that they contributed to the Redemption of All. A papal encyclical said “Mary suffered and, as it were, nearly died with her suffering Son…so we may well say that she with Christ redeemed mankind”. Also there is a quote from a Catholic book about Mary: “Mary has redeemed us with and subordinately to Christ, because she has…relinquished her maternal rights over her Victim Son, willingly offering Him for the redemption of the human race” Her sacrifice was subordinate to Christ and depended on His sacrifice. I just don’t understand what “and is offered” refers to.

I found this on the vatican’s website: “Mary remains with Christ in some mysterious way in the Eucharist and is, after him, the “chief offerer” of the Eucharistic Sacrifice”. Link
I was always taught that Jesus, the High Priest, was the chief offerer and the priest was the secondary offerer. How does Our Lady fit into that?

Tertullian stated:

Christ’s flesh, then, is of David’s seed. Since He is of the seed of David in consequence of Mary’s flesh, He is therefore of Mary’s flesh because of the seed of David. In what way so ever you torture the statement, He is either of the flesh of Mary because of the seed of David, or He is of the seed of David because of the flesh of Mary.

Jesus was incarnated from the flesh of Mary, therefore the flesh of Jesus is the flesh of Mary. The person of Jesus is quite separate, of course, as with any mother and child. But Mary is the only human being from whom Jesus took human form.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.