Mary's Spouse

I am a recent convert to faith (Praise God) and have fully embraced all the Holy Church teaches, but I am left with one confusing question.

Mary is the spouse of the Holy Spirit AND St. Joseph?

Does this nagging question effect my love for the Blessed Virgin Mary?,NOT A CHANCE!! It would just help me better understand and increase my knowledge of her special and unique role in God’s plan for Salvation.

It would just help me better understand and increase my knowledge of her special and unique role in God’s plan for Salvation.

Hello,

I highly recommend the book “True Devotion to Mary” by St. Louis de Montfort:
ewtn.com/library/Montfort/TRUEDEVO.HTM

If you want a hard copy you can find one at:
montfortmissionaries.com/publications/index.phtml?orderid=680bf6021e9c397d5e641c50be0c2928

As for your particular question, #20 and 21 of “True Devotion” may help you better understand why Mary is known as the spouse of the Holy Spirit. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. You might find the book kind of deep but it’s worth reading to better understand devotion to Our Blessed Mother.

Welcome home!

This article is from a very Jewish perspective, and will help explain why every God fearing Jew in the 1st / 2nd century A.D. would understand why Mary was (1) the spouse of the Holy Spirit, and (2) perpetually Virgin.

Hope this helps.

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=love4mary] I am a recent convert to faith (Praise God) and have fully embraced all the Holy Church teaches, but I am left with one confusing question.

Mary is the spouse of the Holy Spirit AND St. Joseph?

Does this nagging question effect my love for the Blessed Virgin Mary?,NOT A CHANCE!! It would just help me better understand and increase my knowledge of her special and unique role in God’s plan for Salvation.
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on coming home. Mary is a unique individual, she is the “favored” daughter of God (Father), spouse of God, (Holy Spirit), and Mother of God (Jesus). Only person in human history with this relationship. Certainly we need to keep in mind that her life may have unique circumstances. In reference to her “marriage” both to the Holy Spirit and to Joseph, neither is what we would consider a conventional marriage. How can you explain a marriage between the Spirit of God and a human woman? It certainly is a marriage, all of the language of Scripture attest to a marriage, she conceived a child within this marriage, but the Father is God! The conception was virginal! Certainly nothing “normal” about her marriage to the Holy Spirit. She was a consecrated virgin, both Luke chapter one and Matthew chapter one teach us that she never intended to have a sexual relationship, so her marriage to Joseph was not what we would consider “normal”.

Thank You all for your help with this. True Devotion to Mary has been added to my book “Wish List” for Christmas.

I guess this is one question that will never be fully answered or understood till I am in heaven, at least by me.

In the mean time, I will continue to pray my Rosary. I guess as a convert, I want to know it all NOW, regardless of where I am on spiritual journey.

[quote=Tom]She was a consecrated virgin, both Luke chapter one and Matthew chapter one teach us that she never intended to have a sexual relationship, so her marriage to Joseph was not what we would consider “normal”.
[/quote]

Could you please provide the verses? I have reread these chapters and not found the information you speak of.

cheddar

True Devotion to Mary has been added to my book “Wish List” for Christmas.

The EWTN link above has the book online (free) if you would rather read it there. Avoid the TAN edition if possible.

Could you please provide the verses? I have reread these chapters and not found the information you speak of.

Maybe the poster was thinking of “The Mystical City of God”. That book might also be of interest to the original poster with the caveat associated with private revelations. It can also be found online at the following link although I’d recommend reading “True Devotion” first:
geocities.com/Athens/Ithaca/7194/

[quote=cheddarsox]Could you please provide the verses? I have reread these chapters and not found the information you speak of. cheddar
[/quote]

Sure thing, you must keep the verse in context.
The notion of her being a dedicated virgin is presented in Luke chapter 1, although you may need to contemplate on it a while.

Here, Gabriel tells Mary some things that shouldn’t be surprising and some things that are truly remarkable.
Lk 1, 31 that she shall (in the future) conceive in her womb and bring forth a son should have been of little surprise to anyone expecting to carry on a normal sexual relationship in her marriage, the only slight surprise would be that it is to be a son.

WOW, well of course since Joseph was the house of David the child would be of the house of David, but he shall be called the Son of the most High; and he shall have the thrown of David. He’s going to be the king??? Holy mackerel!!! What news!!!
You can just imagine the shock of Mary can’t you? Now keep in mind that Gabriel is telling her what is going to happen in the future, not her present condition, but her future condition. To this Mary makes a statement and asks a question.
Quote:

Mary understood the angel was speaking of a future event and her future condition and states her FUTURE condition “I know not man”. Mary was NOT referring to her present condition of virginity but was stating her future virginity in response to the future events the angel is describing. She is here telling us she is going to remain a virgin. To imply that Mary was speaking of her present condition of virginity is absolutely absurd and illogical. This is how taking things out of context perverts the message.
Also notice that this is prior to the angel telling her the real Father of the child. Her question “How shall (in the future) this be done, because I know not man?” makes no sense to a person intending to have a normal sexual marriage.
The only question she asks is that which should have been most apparent to anyone intending to have a normal sexual marriage, that she shall (in the future) conceive a child.

[quote=cheddarsox]Could you please provide the verses? I have reread these chapters and not found the information you speak of.

cheddar
[/quote]

The fact that she must remain a virgin for her entire life is found in Matthew chapter 1 and Numbers. Give me a few minutes and I’ll get exact verses.

[quote=cheddarsox]Could you please provide the verses? I have reread these chapters and not found the information you speak of.cheddar
[/quote]

[quote=DRBO.org]Matthew 1,18 Now the generation of Christ was in this wise. When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child, of the Holy Ghost. 19 Whereupon Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing publicly to expose her, was minded to put her away privately.
[/quote]

Remember Joseph did not yet know who the Father of this child was. He could have done any of three things, he could have married her and accepted the child as his own; he could have publically divorced her and had her stoned to death; he could have put her away privately, which is what he chose prior to being visited by the angel

[quote=DRBO.org]Matthew 1,20 But while he thought on these things, behold the angel of the Lord appeared to him in his sleep, saying: Joseph, son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife, for that which is conceived in her, is of the Holy Ghost.
[/quote]

Here Joseph finds out several things, Mary is pregnant not by a physical intercourse (she remained a virgin) but by the Holy Spirit of God, the Father of this child is God Himself, Mary has entered into a marriage with God and conceived a child.

[quote=DRBO.org]Matthew 121 And she shall bring forth a son: and thou shalt call his name JESUS. For he shall save his people from their sins. 22 Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: 23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. 24 And Joseph rising up from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord had commanded him, and took unto him his wife.
[/quote]

So, here Joseph changes his mind about putting her away privately, he follows Gods instruction and accepts her as his wife, knowing full well that she is under a vow of virginity. He accepts her into his house as a wife while under a vow. Remember Joseph and Mary are pious Jews, well versed in Scripture.

[quote=DRBO.org]Matthew 1,25 And he knew her not till she brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS.
[/quote]

He not only accepted her under this vow, but he himself vowed not to have sexual relations with her. And why couldn’t they have sex after Jesus was born?

[quote=DRBO.org]Numbers 30,1 And Moses told the children of Israel all that the Lord had commanded him: 2 And he said to the princes of the tribes of the children of Israel: This is the word that the Lord hath commanded: 3 If any man make a vow to the Lord, or bind himself by an oath: he shall not make his word void but shall fulfill all that he promised. 4 If a woman vow any thing, and bind herself by an oath, being in her father’s house, and but yet a girl in age: if her father knew the vow that she hath promised, and the oath wherewith she hath bound her soul, and held his peace, she shall be bound by the vow: 5 Whatsoever she promised and swore, she shall fulfill in deed. 6 But if her father, immediately as soon as he heard it, gainsaid it, both her vows and her oaths shall be void, neither shall she be bound to what she promised, because her father hath gainsaid it. 7 If she have a husband, and shall vow any thing, and the word once going out of her mouth shall bind her soul by an oath: 8 The day that her husband shall hear it, and not gainsay it, she shall be bound to the vow, and shall give whatsoever she promised. 9 But if as soon as he heareth he gainsay it, and make her promises and the words wherewith she had bound her soul of no effect: the Lord will forgive her. 11 If the wife in the house of her husband, hath bound herself by vow and by oath, 12 If her husband hear, and hold his peace, and doth not disallow the promise, she shall accomplish whatsoever she had promised. 13 But if forthwith he gainsay it, she shall not be bound by the promise: because her husband gainsaid it, and the Lord will be merciful to her. 14 If she vow and bind herself by oath, to afflict her soul by fasting, or abstinence from other things, it shall depend on the will of her husband, whether she shall do it, or not do it. 15 But if the husband hearing it hold his peace, and defer the declaring his mind till another day: whatsoever she had vowed and promised, she shall fulfill: because immediately as he heard it, he held his peace.
[/quote]

[quote=DRBO.org]16 But if he gainsay it after that he knew it, he shall bear her iniquity. 17 These are the laws which the Lord appointed to Moses between the husband and the wife, between the father and the daughter that is as yet but a girl in age, or that abideth in her father’s house.
[/quote]

If after she had Jesus decided to annul the vow HE would have been guilty of violating the Law.

Also of great importance:
It was not simply the angel failing to inform Mary of the true Father of the child in Lk 1, 30-33; the angel forces her to reveal her future virginity. Had God not intended her to reveal her future virginity (and inform us of her perpetual virginity) the angel would have continued on with the explaination of the true Father revealed in Lk 1,35. Why stop short of revealing the true Father unless you need her to make her pronouncement in Lk 1,34? Doesn’t make sense. Read Lk 1, 30-35 below:

[quote=www.drbo.org] Luke 1, 30 And the angel said to her: Fear not, Mary, for thou hast found grace with God. 31 Behold thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and shalt bring forth a son; and thou shalt call his name Jesus. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the most High; and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of David his father; and he shall reign in the house of Jacob for ever. 33 And of his kingdom there shall be no end. 34 And Mary said to the angel: How shall this be done, because I know not man? 35 And the angel answering, said to her: The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the most High shall overshadow thee. And therefore also the Holy which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
[/quote]

Remove her question in 1,34 and you have no pronouncement of her future virginity, we already know she was a virgin prior to the incarnation. Why would God have the angel stop short of revealing the Father if not to have her proclaim her perpetual virginity?

[quote=www.drbo.org] Isaias 7,13 And he said: Hear ye therefore, O house of David: Is it a small thing for you to be grievous to men, that you are grievous to my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign. Behold a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel.
[/quote]

[quote=www.drbo.org] Matthew 1, 22 Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: 23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
Luke 1, 22 Now all this was done that it might be fulfilled which the Lord spoke by the prophet, saying: 23 Behold a virgin shall be with child, and bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.
[/quote]

[quote=Madia]The EWTN link above has the book online (free) if you would rather read it there. Avoid the TAN edition if possible.

Thank you for letting me know of this, I will go into the site and read it that way. But if I like it, i’ll want to buy it :thumbsup:
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.