Mary's Virginity

When prophecy was written, it was said that a virgin will give birth to a child.

Do you think her virginity is incidental? Or do you suppose that there is something theologically or spiritually significant regarding a virgin?

Mary’s virginity (among other things) was adopted from other sources… it was an accepted and recognized attribute of divinity… if you want to make your gal special, just give her the attributes and titles of the Goddess.

Virginity till marriage is very important for both woman and man, its the sign that the person didn’t commit adultery (which is one of the 10 commandments).

… and most importantly… daddy couldn’t sell his daughter for as much if she wasn’t a virgin. Bride price I believe it was called…

What sources would these be?
:shrug:

We don’t consider Mother Theresa divine. But she certainly was Christlike. :wink:

Pax christu :harp:

That is very important Sam!

Bless you!

Well, the one I best is the Isiac religion… the titles (Blessed Mother, etc.) and epithets God-Bearer, Star of the Sea, Queen of Heaven, etc.) of the Goddess were ‘baptized in’ to the cult of Mary, and solidified in 431 at the Council of Ephesus, which asserted the dual nature of Jesus and made Mary the Theotokos (God-Bearer). The stautary that was stolen from desecrated Isiac temples was brazenly reused for Mary…

What is a Maronite?

Maronites are an Eastern Catholic Church who are in full communion with Rome.

Fulfilled prophecy is too remarkable to waste time with your cheap shots. You’d do well to study fulfilled prophecy.

There is no such thing as ‘fulfilled prophecy’… you’d do well to study to origins of the OT, as well as the NT… anyone who denies the facts is either deluded, a liar or both.

And what’s so wrong regarding adultery? I’ll try to elaborate why adultery is wrong…

My thoughts is that a virgin has not yet consecrated (right word?) their body to another, and so God was able to respectfully (right word?) have a child bearing relationship with a virgin.

Just my thoughts for a discussion… :twocents:

That’s about as unreasonable as fools who say “There is no God”.

:thumbsup:

Didn’t Mary bear the God-man? Or don’t you believe Jesus Christ is a divine person? Mothers conceive and bear persons - not natures. In the mystery of the Incarnation, Most Blessed Mary conceived our Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit, thereby providing the divine Person a human nature. She conceived and bore the divine Word who became flesh by his mother.

And the angel said to her in reply, “The Holy Spirit will come upon , and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.”
Luke 1, 35

“And how does this happen to me that the mother of my Lord (adonai=Lord God; mater ha kyrios= Mother of God) should come to me?”
Luke 1, 43

They were overjoyed at seeing the star, and on entering the house they saw the child (Lord God) with his mother. They prostrated themselves and did him homage.
Matthew 2, 10-11

The invocation of Mary as Star of the Sea is a form of imagery which has its roots in the Old Testament in the figures of the Jewish heroines, notably Esther.

Mary is our Queen Mother (Gebirah) by virtue of her divine maternity. Her divine Son inherited the throne of his father (ancestor) David.

“Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus. He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High. And the Lord God will give him the throne of David his father, and he will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be no end.”
Luke 1, 31-33

The prophet Jeremiah uses the Hebrew word* meleketh* when referring to the Egyptian goddess. He uses gebirah when mentioning the queen mother of a Davidic king. Mary is our Queen Mother (Gebirah) of the eternal kingdom of heaven.

Please see my blog www.justinangel.stblogs.com

Athiests say the same thing you do about our Lord. They assert that our belief in the divinity of Christ springs from an assimilation of pagan myths. By the way, the rite of baptism with water was practiced in the ancient pagan mystery religions. It’s a matter of fulfillment. And we must read the New Testament in light of the Old.

Pax Christu :harp:

“There is one Physician who is possessed both of flesh and spirit; both made and not made; God existing in flesh; true life in death; both of Mary and of God; first possible and then inpossible, even Jesus Christ our Lord.”
St. Ignatius of Antioch, Epistle to the Ephesians, 7 (c.A.D. 110)

That is correct… I don’t believe he was, if he existed at all… you can quote the bible all you want, but since it is a patchwork of redacted priest-craft nonsense, it won’t help your cause.

Also was she a virgin for all of her life some have told me so.
If you say yes is there any scripture that says this?

Steg,

Is your religion based on the Goddess Isis? Sorry I’m pretty dumb.lol

Also I heard that she was “sinless” throughout her life

lol… I don’t think your dumb… and yes, it is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.