Masons

Hey guys!

I have a quick question about a group called the Masons…we’re not really sure who they are, but
we recieved a slightly hateful set of flyers stapled to our mailbox, saying things like ‘“Jesus was a ----ing Jew” -said by a 33 Degree Mason’, and they were all signed The Concerned Christians of Denver. My mom was only worried about it because it was ONLY posted to our mailbox and we couldn’t find one anywhere else. She asked me if it had anything to do with Catholic Church, and I wasn’t sure. She knew she had seen a Masonic temple around somewhere in the city, but also thought that she had heard of an organization of Masons within the Catholic church, almost like the Knights of Columbus. Neither of us actually have a clue, so she wanted me to post something and ask about it just to make sure that we have nothing to worry about.

Who are the Masons and do they have any affiliation with the Catholic Church, or is there any reason for alarm if it was only posted on our mailbox? Of course, we realize that this could most likely have been totally random…but we just wanted to make sure because we live very far away from Denver as it is, and it was just a little weird that they would travel so far to just put ONE on OUR mailbox:) Thanks guys!!!

In Him,
Britty

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=13786&highlight=masonic

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/CAMASON1.HTM

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19831126_declaration-masonic_en.html

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=53946&highlight=freemasonry

Masons are an anti-catholic organization who worship Satan at the upper most levels (33rd degree and maybe a few degrees lower). A majority of the lower levels in the organization of unaware of this and think that it is merely a good, old Christian religion but as one moves up the ranks, one is GRADUALLY exposed to more non-Christian stuff & anti-Christian stuff until one is ultimately worshipping Satan at the upper most levels.

This topic has been discussed on these forums NUMEROUS times. Catholics can not become Masons and any Catholic who does is automaticly excommunicated from the Catholic Church by a standing order of the Holy See dating back numerous years.

Use the SEARCH feature on this board and look for Freemasonary – you’ll get back a lot of information.

Stick with the Knights of Columbus whom JP2 frequently refered to as the strong right arm of the Catholic church.

Freemasonry is not satanic and is not anti-Catholic. In the U.S. most Free Masons are indeed Christians. It’s more of a fraternity than a religion though. The only requirements to join that I know of are that you must believe in a supreme being and you must be a man of integrity. I’m not a free mason myself but have read enough to know that Sir Knight is wrong and has obviously visited one of the many anti-free masonry websites and bought into the lies hook line and sinker.

Seriously, if you want to learn more about them I suggest you talk to a Free Mason or visit one of their official websites.

There must be confusion somehwere, one cannot be a Mason and a Catholic in good standing. The church prohibits it.

[quote=CheesusPowerKid]Who are the Masons and do they have any affiliation with the Catholic Church,
[/quote]

Take Knight’s advice, do a search and you will come up with plenty of information as this subject has been gone over numerous times in various forums here.

[quote=Casen] … Sir Knight is wrong and has obviously visited one of the many anti-free masonry websites and bought into the lies hook line and sinker …
[/quote]

I guess the New Catholic Encyclopedia is “anti-free masonry” since it states on Page 137 in Vol. 6: “Freemasonry displays all the elements of religion, and as such it becomes a rival to the religion of the Gospel. It includes temples and altars, prayers, a moral code, worship, vestments, feast days, the promise of reward or punishment in the afterlife, a hierarchy, and initiation and burial rites”.

What about the Catholic church itself? If Freemasonry was harmless as Casen suggests, the Catholic church would not imposed the penalty of excommunication on Catholics who become Freemasons. The penalty of excommunication for joining the Masonic Lodge was explicit in the 1917 code of canon law (canon 2335) and it is implicit in the 1983 code (canon 1374).

Because the revised code of canon law is not explicit on this point, some drew the mistaken conclusion that the Church’s prohibition of Freemasonry had been dropped. As a result of this confusion, shortly before the 1983 code was promulgated, the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith issued a statement indicating that the penalty was still in force. This statement was dated November 26, 1983.

Catholics may not in good conscience become members of any group whose teachings a/o activities are opposed to the teachings and well-being of the Church. Those interested in joining a men’s club should consider the Knights of Columbus instead.

Sir Knight,
I can understand why the Catholic Church would discourage members from becoming Free Masons because of their oaths and because, in a sense, it is indeed much like a religion. Also, I don’t disagree with what the New Catholic Encyclopedia says. However, in your first post, you said Free Masons worship Satan at the upper levels. That is NOT in the Catholic Encyclopedia and is absolutely false. Perhaps you heard a rumor about this or visited an anti-masonry website but you’re absolutely wrong about it and are propagating a lie in posting it here.

Just because the Catholic Church discourages members from joining does not mean the organization worships Satan. As I pointed out, most Free Masons in America are indeed Christians. There are about three million Masons in the Unites States. George Washington and 13 Presidents of the United states as well as 13 Vice Presidents and 35 Justices of the Supreme Court have been Masons.

The Free Masons I know are all upstanding honorable Christian men. They also do a great deal of Charity work.

As I suggested before, talk to a Free Mason or visit an official website to learn the truth about their organization. As a Catholic you may not want to join the organization but that doesn’t bean you have to demonize them either.

From www.americanmason.com

**Freemasonry, or Masonry, is the oldest and largest fraternal organization in the world, a universal society of friends who seek to become better men through their association with one another and their families. It is a 600-year-old fraternity with a 3, 000-year tradition, the prototype of most modern fraternal societies and service organizations.

In a society whose moral values are being severely tested, Masonry brings men together for fellowship and the promotion of integrity and good citizenship.

Masonry requires a belief in God and urges its members to be faithful to their own religious beliefs, but it is not a religion.

It encourages its members and their families to be good citizens and to choose their own best means of political expression, but it is not a political organization.

Its charitable activities and good works are for the benefit of all humankind, but it is not a benefit society or welfare institution.

Membership in a Masonic lodge is open to men 21 years of age or older, without regard to race, color or religion. Those accepted for membership must be of good character and reputation, and believe in a Supreme Being and the immortality of the soul.

Freemasons try to live in accordance with high moral principles as good citizens. They do not claim to have a monopoly on these ideals, but they do join together in lodges to help each other intensify their devotion to these enduring values.

Freemasonry welcomes men from every religious denomination or creed, requiring only that they affirm their belief in a Supreme Being, and that they are of high moral character and are good citizens. Masonic lodges are nondenominational and non-political. Partisan and sectarian discussions are not permitted in Lodges. Masonry is not a substitute for church or religion. The Fraternity urges its members to practice their own particular religious beliefs in their daily lives.

In the United States alone, Freemasons provide over $1 million a day, year after year, for charitable causes. These dollars go to support scholarships, medical research, hospitals for crippled children, facilities for those who have speech disorders or mental illness. Masonic groups also help people with serious eye problems and with respiratory difficulties. They provide retirement homes for members, their wives and widows.**

They have a long history of anti-Catholicism which still persists in some parts of the world. I would flee this organization and not be deceived by the good that they do.

The religion they propagate is a false indifferentism and is heretical for a Catholic.
They discriminate against non-Masons and in favor of “fraternal brothers,” yet still consider themselves good Americans. So much for all men are created equal.

I think the Knights of Columbus were actually created to give Catholics a fraternal organization that was Catholic as an alternative to all the other secret socities and fraternities which are not Christian–including the Masons.

When I joined Squires, the KoC for young men, they told us something like that it was created for Irishmen who came to America and couldn’t find jobs due to discrimination and so they shared what they had. Something like that.:slight_smile:

Oh wow! Thank you so much guys! That all helps a lot. My mom and I were just slightly worried about it because, like I said, it was only on our mailbox, and she was worried it had something to do with us being Catholic. But I guess that was totally way off, so thank you for helping dispell that:) I’ll let her know right away! You guys are awesome!!!

Thanks again!

In Him,
Britty

Hard to believe you’re allowed to march right into catholic.com and try to solicit members, isn’t it Casen? Then again, I suppose Christ’s church is apt to be infinitely more open and transparent than the Masonic’s secret organization.

You advertise that your networking pays off for you; so you’ll scoop a few members here. I wonder why we can’t say the same about Catholic presidents (just one); probably because God’s kingdom is not of this world.

It’s funny because Masons regularly visit this forum with one story, and yet when I open your Mason books, I notice huge energy attacking the Catholic faith (with Hiram book they let ‘er rip starting page two, for a five-page rant just to get warmed up.) And was it not Masons who provided the false history for the book “Da Vinci Code”.

You Masons have a very active PR department getting the message out. That’s why you are able to quote your figures so readily, of 3 million Masons contributing 1 million dollars per day. Those contribution figures commendable, because I can’t respond with exactly how much the 72 million American Catholics contribute to charity every week (but it’s probably better than our odds of presidency). With Catholicism the contribution is less for PR recruitment & job advancement - and more in the name of our Father in Heaven, our Savior Jesus Christ, and The Holy Spirit.

THE FREEMASONS DO NOT WORSHIP SATAN!!! My grandfather a Catholic whom is a memeber of several great Catholic organizations and has read the Bible 18 times, is a 3rd degree Freemason. The Vatican had a scare because of its secrecy, and forbade any Cathlics to go into it. Let me tell you what REALLY goes on.

They do not let any Atheists, Pagans, Wiccans, or non Juedo-Christians inside their orginziation. They allow Chrsitisans, Jews, Muslims, Islams, and other Jeudo-Christian religions into their group. At the initiation ceremony, the new initiate kneels at an altar before a 32nd degree mason (it looks like a Judge’s podium) and they say “Who do you turn to when in need?” the canidate must say “The One True God.” And then they say “What light do you seek?” The canidate answers “The light of Jesus Christ.” Then the 32nd degree blesses the canidate with the sign of the cross, and they leave, and are officially initiated. In the lodge, there is a Bible, Koran, Torah, Watchtower Bible, and book Of Mormon in it. They get together, see plays and shows, and discuss religion theology. Nothing happens satanic. NOTHING!!! If you want a socriety to get paranoid about, type in the Skull and crossbones society in Google. And look up a topic online for once in your life, sheesh. Fremasonry is NOT a religion at all, they just require you to be of a Jeudo-Christian religion. I admit, I was once an anti-mason, but now everything is cleared up. Show me one pecie of solid evidence that they worship Satan. ONE SOLID PEICE and i will BEG my grandfather to quit!!

Still, he and I have our missgivings about them. My grandfather, though of genious IQ (150; the mason advancement test consists of IQ tests) refuses to advance any more and is just in it to study and discudss Bible with other Catholics. Yes, thats right- Catholics! Many catholics are masons, the Vatican claim holds NO ground. However, heres what my garndfather says and why he isnt that involved in it: they use a pentagram in the upper levels on their meeting houses that looks like pentagram of satan but doesnt have face on it, and is made into Mason sign. They worship their “Grand Architect of the Universe” which they say is God, but… which one? After all they let all jeudo-Chrsitians into their group. And, they take oaths that agree them to get the ability to kill if nessecary (if they are betrayed by other masons for anything secretive), and they go through secret rituals and have secret things that resemble ancient Neopagan ceremonies. That is why my Garndfather rarely particapets, and dont tell anybody this but it is mostly for the turkey they serve at every meeting along with fine wine and other foods (he loves turkey, LOL :wink: )

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/CAMASON1.htm

This is a pretty good read if you think Freemasonry is compatible with Catholicism.

[quote=Chazemataz]Many catholics are masons
[/quote]

WRONG. Catholics are not masons. Masons are not permitted into the Catholic faith unless they first break their ties with masonry and any Catholic who becomes a Mason AUTOMATICLY excommunicates himself from the faith.

So there are no Catholic masons. According to Church Canon Law, such a thing is not possible.

My mom was looking through our Catholic dictionary, and it said that very recently the Vatican and Freemasons have made a better understanding with eachother, and that certain laypeople of the Catholic Church have been allowed to become masons. But enrollment in the freemasons is still prohibited to ordained ministers, and any layperson who joins is given extreme caution.

Can you provide a source for what you just said because if what you say is true, then church canon 1374 & 2335 would have to have been amended or a new canon issued and there is no record of either of these things happening.

[quote=CheesusPowerKid]My mom was looking through our Catholic dictionary, and it said that very recently the Vatican and Freemasons have made a better understanding with eachother, and that certain laypeople of the Catholic Church have been allowed to become masons. But enrollment in the freemasons is still prohibited to ordained ministers, and any layperson who joins is given extreme caution.
[/quote]

No your dictionary is mistaken,I heard one of the priests on EWTN address this recently,you are ex-communicated if you get involved with the Masons:ehh: As for whether they are Christians the upper members are into some messy stuff.Look up Masons and Lucis Trust,do a google search on them,Padre Pio got after a mason one time and he called it evil not disobedient evil:nope:

I have some relatives who are Masons, and they are christian in every sense of the word. They are not Catholic however. My uncle becomes very offended when you quesiton the idea that he worships Satan or [insert evil being/deity of choice]. I can understand why - imagine if someone questioned your beliefs because of things they’ve read in books or on the internet and no actual first hand accounts.

I’ve been told when I turn 21 I have an open invitation to join the Masons. I’d like to attend a meeting and see what they’re all about.

[quote=streetcar]I have some relatives who are Masons, and they are christian in every sense of the word. They are not Catholic however. My uncle becomes very offended when you quesiton the idea that he worships Satan or [insert evil being/deity of choice]. I can understand why - imagine if someone questioned your beliefs because of things they’ve read in books or on the internet and no actual first hand accounts.

I’ve been told when I turn 21 I have an open invitation to join the Masons. I’d like to attend a meeting and see what they’re all about.
[/quote]

If you are Catholic do not do it:eek: Please do some research not just on the net.Look I don’t want you to end up in a mess,please do not join:eek:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.