Mass and Rite of Election question

Hi all!

Sunday is the Rite of Election for me and I am so very excited! But I just have a question. I already know that the Rite of Election will be held at the Cathedral and have only the Liturgy of the Word, no mass. Would I be required to go to mass at my parish before the Rite? I already know that my parish will not hold a Rite of Sending for me so I’m just wondering if I should or shouldn’t go to mass this Sunday. Will the Liturgy of the Word be the same at the Rite of Election as it is for this Sunday’s reading?

I have absolutely no problems with attending mass, as I attend faithfully each and every Sunday. Just need to know if it’s important to attend this Sunday before the Rite of Election.

Thanks!

Great question! The obligation to attend Mass on Sunday’s is not disposed for the Rite of Election. Therefore, if you are a confirmed Catholic, you will need to attend Mass this weekend. The Rite of Election has it’s own liturgy, readings, etc. that are different from those for the 1st Sunday of Lent.

If you are on your way to becoming a confirmed Catholic this Easter, I strongly encourage you to attend Mass every time you can! At this point in the process, the more time you spend with God in His house, the better you will know Him and the more meaningful and fulfilling will be the Easter Vigil! :getholy:

Peace and grace,
Jeff

Are you obligated to go to Mass that day? No, you aren’t. Nothing wrong with going, though. It’s good you yearn for Mass.

Why is your parish not doing a Rite of Sending?

Probably because any catechumen is expected to be at the Rite of Election.

If you are not yet baptized, which I assume since only catechumens are called to the Rite of Election, you are not obligated to attend the entire Mass yet, since you ordinarily would be dismissed after the Liturgy of the Word for your instruction. Even if you own parish does not follow that plan, no you do not have a Mass obligation until after your initiation sacraments, and that also is why the Liturgy of the Word will be the context of the Rite. (In the old days, this was called the Mass of the Catechumens, for the same reason).

The Rite of Sending in the parish is optional.

This is Liturgical Year A so the readings should be the same for the Rite of Election as they would be at Mass.

Catholics are to attend Mass ever week

I already know that my parish will not hold a Rite of Sending for me

Rite of Sending is different, it for the baptized, Rite of Election is for non-baptized

so I’m just wondering if I should or shouldn’t go to mass this Sunday. Will the Liturgy of the Word be the same at the Rite of Election as it is for this Sunday’s reading?

no, to the best of my memory they are different

I have absolutely no problems with attending mass, as I attend faithfully each and every Sunday. Just need to know if it’s important to attend this Sunday before the Rite of Election.

Thanks!

yes it is important, have a great day.

OP is not yet Catholic,
the Rite of Sending is the (optional) rite in the Parish where the catechumens are blessed and sent to the bishop for the Rite of Election so by definition it is for the unbaptized.

Oops, my mistake, I was thinking of the Dismissal.

candidates and catechumens don’t.

Rite of Sending is different, it for the baptized, Rite of Election is for non-baptized

that is not correct. Rite of Sending is done at the parish and the Rite of Election is done with the bishop. Both go hand in hand.

Thank you all for the replies. I always seem to leave out the important details. I’m not baptized so I will be this Easter Vigil. Although I’m not yet Catholic, I love going to mass and look forward to it every week. I know I’m not obligated to go now but I just love the Catholic faith, the mass, and our Lord so I look forward to church.

I don’t know why my parish isn’t doing a Rite of Sending. I’m the only one coming into the Church this year so maybe that is why, and also it’s an optional rite so maybe that’s another reason. I dunno.

Just contemplating if I should go to mass if the readings will be the same or not. This may seem simple to some but to me it’s a big decision. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I’ll be going to the Right of Election myself here on Sunday, for my parish we have 40 hours devotion this weekend so my fellow catachumens and I are going to Adoration and then Mass and then on the bus to Duluth. I wouldn’t think twice about going to mass even if i had to hear it twice
Peace

Go to Mass! The readings might be the same (they were last year in Lexington), but that doesn’t matter. Don’t even ask yourself if you have an obligation. Going to Mass is a privilege, and even though you can’t receive Communion yet, the Mass is so much more than the readings - it’s the Holy Sacrifice.

The Rite of Sending is done in the parish to send catechumens (and candidates?) to the Bishop for the Rite of Election. The (mandatory) Rite of Election (for catechumens) usually happens alongside the (optional) Call to Continuing Conversion of Candidates, but since “Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion” is an awfully long name, it tends to be inaccurately shortened to just Rite of Election.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.