Mass at Home

Can a priest say Mass in a home?

Yes, but some criteria must be met.

Such as? I want to ask my pastor to say mass at my home but I dont want to put him in an ucomfortable position. So I am looking to know what the criteria would be. Thank you.

[quote="ToughQs, post:3, topic:299755"]
Such as? I want to ask my pastor to say mass at my home but I dont want to put him in an ucomfortable position. So I am looking to know what the criteria would be. Thank you.

[/quote]

I was hoping that you would not ask such a question because I do not want to look for the reference, I do not remember where to look for it, I just know that it is possible, a priest celebrated the Mass in my house once. Just ask your priest and discuss with him what he thinks about it, probably he will be pleasantly surprised by your desires. It was discussed in one of the threads here on CAF, maybe you could search around, it was withing the last 6 months.

[quote="ToughQs, post:3, topic:299755"]

[/quote]

Your priest could probably answer that question better than any of us. :o

It might vary from diocese to diocese. I know of at least one diocese where the bishop made it a rule that no priest could celebrate Mass outside of a Church building without his express permission. But not every diocese has such a rule.

Here we go:

Mass in the Home

Hi,

I have two uncles who are priests and when they could come down for a visit they always said Mass in our home. On many occasions we would invite our Catholic neighbors over so they could attend Mass as well. As far as we knew, it met our Sunday obligation so when they would visit we didn't have to attend Mass out our Church that particular weekend.

Yes, EWTN has regular mass on TV for those who cannot attend

In that case the Mass is celebrated in a church and not in a house. :confused:

As I recall reading recently (I'm not quite sure where) a priest generally needs the permission of the Bishop to celebrate Mass in an atypical venue.

This happens quite a bit in Ireland. They are called 'station' masses, celebrated in the homes of parishioners, and usually all the neighbours and anyone who wants to comes along. You can get huge crowds and they gather outside in the street. Great communal gathering:D Don't know if there's general rules, and I suppose the permission of the Bishop is implied. I doubt they'd need permission for each one, there could be several each year in any given parish. As far as I can see, you need a table or structure for the altar, usual vessels etc, wine and hosts etc, priest vests as normal. Crucifix for the altar or near it, not sure if they bring a relic with them?, but generally what you see on the sanctuary is replicated in some fashion in the home also
I think its something of a tradition dating back to penal times when people would gather at 'mass rocks' and out of the way places because the British authorities were hunting for the priests who were outlawed.
I like to think that it can remind us of the early church, where they met in their homes for the breaking of bread.:thumbsup:

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/slideshows/letterfrack_mass/600_450/mass29.jpg

From my experience, that's what we Irish would call a 'small crowd';). I usually see these packed out.

When my bro in law was dying of cancer a priest came and said Mass in a home. There was no call to the Bishop that I was aware of.

I also attended an outdoor Mass said by a newly ordained priest, which was held in the neighbor's back yard.

In that case the Mass is celebrated in a church and not in a house. :confused:
[/quote]

It also doesn’t fulfill the Sunday Obligation.

In general, having Masses at people's homes is a bad idea if you're simply doing it for the sake of doing it. There's really no point. The churches are consecrated spaces, and if it's possible to do it there, that's where it should be celebrated. sorry, Irish.

What's so crazy about just going to church for Mass? Anyways, with the set up needed on both sides, the priest and the homeowners, surely it must be easier to just go to the church in almost every case.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.