Mass attendance question

Sorry, I don't know if this is where this question belongs. I know that we can attend mass on Saturday evening to satisfy our Sunday Mass obligation...I just don't know how a Saturday morning funeral Mass is viewed. I'm pretty sure we are still required to attend the Sunday Mass (and/or Saturday evening) even though we attended the funeral Mass this morning (Saturday) at 10:00. Is this correct?

Yes, you are correct.

Thank you! I was just reviewing another site (looking for confirmation on this question), and the "flavor" of the site interested me...how do you feel about Saturday vigil masses? I often attend Saturday evening mass (at 5 pm) to fulfill my Sunday obligation. I do this because the church is less crowded, etc. The posters on the site I visited think that Saturday vigils should be done away with and make everyone go to Sunday Mass. Do you agree with this philosophy - am I being "lazy" by choosing Saturday vigil instead of making more effort to go Sundays instead?

I’m sure God doesn’t think you’re lazy! You’re making an effort to attend Mass, aren’t you? Then, what does it matter? Who cares if people think your “lazy” for attending Saturday night.

Oh, and a note on the funeral: It doesn’t fufill the Sunday obligation because the funeral is for a totally different purpose. It doesn’t serve as a Sunday Mass.

[quote="kristina40, post:3, topic:183346"]
Thank you! I was just reviewing another site (looking for confirmation on this question), and the "flavor" of the site interested me...how do you feel about Saturday vigil masses? I often attend Saturday evening mass (at 5 pm) to fulfill my Sunday obligation. I do this because the church is less crowded, etc. The posters on the site I visited think that Saturday vigils should be done away with and make everyone go to Sunday Mass. Do you agree with this philosophy - am I being "lazy" by choosing Saturday vigil instead of making more effort to go Sundays instead?

[/quote]

It could be lazy if it's your personal preference(I want to sleep in!), rather than a true need. Now that I think about it... are there really any true needs out there to keep us from Sunday mass? :confused:

Disclaimer: That's just speculation, but the Church says it's ok, so it's ok, period :)

“Sleeping in” is not my personal preference - I get up the same time every morning. However, I prefer the smaller “crowd” on Saturday nights, as there are less distractions, and I am able to really concentrate on the Mass.

Yes, there are true needs to miss Mass on Sundays. I mentioned this in another thread. My husband is a firefighter. When he has a Sunday shift he works from 7:00 am on Sunday until 7:00 a.m. on Monday. Saturday Vigil is his only option on those weekends. I am sure there are many occupations out there that have the same dilemma. Police and medical to name a couple.

That’s a really good reason :slight_smile:

I feel like so many people are loud and rowdy before and after mass, and yet when it comes time to sing or respond, they mumble or don’t even attempt it :frowning:

Not quite correct. The only reason the funeral would not satisfy the obligation would be the time. In the US, if it’s before 4:00 pm, it would not; 4:00 pm or later, it would.

Here’s a quote from Canon law and some commentary by Jimmy Akin to verify:

Here is what the law says:

A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass [CIC Can. 1248 §1].

Note that there is nothing in the law about there needing to be any particular readings or set of ceremonies needed to fulfill the obligation. Any Mass in any rite on the evening of the preceding day satisfied the obligation.

This is why a wedding Mass in the evening can also satisfy the Sunday obligation.

Betsy

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.