Mass/Dinner

Does the cannon law allow for a mass with a dinner incorporated into it .

what I mean by this is you set up tales for a main course but before you all eat the regular dinner the priest would consecrate a host symbolizing the body and blood of Christ then people recieve I assume worthily. Then the main course starts.

I ask this because I wanted to ask my parish priest if something like this can be done to celebrate the last supper.

I don’t mean to sound like I am judging, but what are you talking about? Why would you do this? The Eucharist is so special and this strikes me as making it so common I can’t imagine this is acceptable outside of Mass.

No.

No. It can’t.

On Holy Thursday we celebrate the Evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper. This IS the commemoration of the last supper.

This is the beginning of the Triduum.

The answer to your question can be found in 2004’s Redemptionis Sacramentum:

1. The celebration of Holy Mass is not to be inserted in any way into the setting of a common meal, nor joined with this kind of banquet. Mass is not to be celebrated without grave necessity on a dinner table[159] nor in a dining room or banquet hall, nor in a room where food is present, nor in a place where the participants during the celebration itself are seated at tables. If out of grave necessity Mass must be celebrated in the same place where eating will later take place, there is to be a clear interval of time between the conclusion of Mass and the beginning of the meal, and ordinary food is not to be set before the faithful during the celebration of Mass.

Wow. I have to admit the mere idea leaves me speechless.

And here we have yet another 1970s-style novelty. :frowning: That this issue was addressed in, and prohibited by, Redemptionis Sacramentum, suggests that it has, in fact, been done.

Dear Churchman,

This sounds like a typical “Spirit of Vatican II” liturgy, which (to quote Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI) is both banal and fabricated.

It is absolutely not “okay”. :frowning:

No, it’s definitely not OK. Every Mass you have ever attended has celebrated the last supper.

Perhaps for this occasion you should instead ask the priest to offer the Extraordinary Form of the Mass!

Maybe you could talk to the priest about having a Seder Meal before or after Mass?

:thumbsup:

It is possible to have a breakfast or dinner afterwards in the church hall.

But not as part of the liturgy.

And you can have the priest give a talk explaining what transpired during the course of the Mass.

The priest can also do a “Narrated Mass” [that’s the name I have given to it] in which he explains the parts of the Mass as he says the Mass. I attended one of these … by a Redemptorist missionary priest in Thailand … Father Ray Brannon … in 1966. Tried for decades to get our parish to do one of these here, but it wasn’t the same.

The second time Father Brannon did one of these, the crowd was so huge … so overwhelming that I couldn’t get within a block of the church.

His retreats were amazing.

fr-ray.org/en/about-us/who-was-father-ray/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father_Ray_Foundation

I can attest that it has, in fact been done.

Back in 1985 we were in a military parish where the parents prepared their children for First Communion and when we felt they were ready they met with the Padre for an interview. If he found that they were ready, they received at the next Mass they attended.

When we met with the Padre and he felt my daughter was ready he asked if I wanted her to receive at home. I didn’t know any better and I said, “Sure.” So he came to our home at lunch time, celebrated Mass sitting at our dining room table, gave her Communion and then we had lunch.

He also celebrated Mass sitting at a table in the parish meeting room before parish council meetings. Why he didn’t celebrate in the chapel and then move to the adjoining room for the meeting I’ll never know.

The problem is that a consecrated host does not “symbolize” the body and blood of Christ … a consecrated host IS the body and blood of Christ.

There is no “lesser version” of a Consecrated Host.

Please read “Eucharistic Miracles” by Joan Carroll Cruz.

Her book is amazing and insightful.

Not just NO, GAWD NO!!!

I kind of had a feeling this may not be allowed but wasn’t sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.