Mass etiquette in the bulletin

This is NOT from my bulletin (Although I wish it was) but from another Catholic who shared it. I love it and I think it is AWESOME!

St. ____________ MASS ETIQUETTE
• Dress modestly and in a dignified manner for Mass
• Never chew gum in church! It breaks your Eucharistic
fast, and is disrespectful.
• Please silence your cell phones
• Do not bring food or drink inside the church
(except for the very young & for serious health issues)
• All Catholics that are not in mortal (serious) sin and
who have fasted for one hour are welcome to receive
Holy Communion.
• Make a reverential bow as you step up to receive both
the Body and the Blood of Christ
• Hold your hands chest-high and outstretched to
receive the Eucharist, making a throne for Jesus with
your hands or receive on your tongue, which you stick
out far enough for the host to be placed on it.
• When entering and leaving the Church, cross yourself
reverently and not in a hurried fashion, with Holy
Water, a reminder of your Baptism
• When entering and leaving the Church, genuflect
toward the Tabernacle at the altar out of love and
respect for the Eucharistic Jesus and bow before
the Altar.
• Do not leave immediately after Communion. Please
remain in your pew until the final song ends.
• When arriving before & leaving after Mass,
stay silent & be respectful to those who are in prayer.
Enjoy conversations with one another outside.
• Finally, pick up a bulletin and read all about what is
happening at St. _____________

Banning food and drink isn’t practical for families with small children or people who need water, but otherwise all these rules are how people ought to behave in church. Definitely awesome and I wish more parishes would post rules like this.

Sure we know that the VERY little ones need stuff but most can wait the hour or so.

I tweaked it a little.

now it’s perfect :grin:

I think water shouldn’t be with held from anyone. People will usually have a drink with them to during mass to help them clear their throats, etc.

I always figured a water bottle was an act of charity. It means everyone else doesn’t have to listen to me cough the whole time.

These things are so basic. How far have we fallen that people need to be reminded of the simplest of things?

Give me a parish where those instructions are not needed.

[quote=“veritatisstella, post:2, topic:494426, full:true”]
Banning food and drink isn’t practical for families with small children or people who need water, but otherwise all these rules are how people ought to behave in church. Definitely awesome and I wish more parishes would post rules like this.
[/quote] Did I miss something? Isn’t that exactly what #4 says?

Some of those items are pretty basic, just common sense things like silencing cell phones, and not eating/chewing gum.

Others are steered directly toward Catholics who really should know better. But I don’t think its improper for non-catholics not to genuflect/bow/holy water when they are at mass.

There was some editing of the original post.

It could be the first time they see it rather than a reminder. If someone were drawn to Catholicism but knew absolutely no one to help with how to act, these might be a relief.

It would be nice if it was common sense but say maybe you are a Protestant who is coming into the Catholic faith… you could be use to being able to carry in your coffee and muffin , even getting them right in the lobby of the church. When you are use to a church that is more about fun than worshipping the Lord, common sense isn’t always there.

I’d like to see this in every Catholic church bulletin.
We are talking about the King of the Universe.
Holy God, Holy mighty One, Holy Immortal One.
How would you treat Him if He was standing right in front of you?

Sometimes, we forget those basic things. It’s good to be reminded once in a while.

I honestly always wondered about that.

Like, I feel like any earthly ruler or important person - I would spend hours, perhaps even days, getting ready. It would be something that would completely disrupt my life and be a big special thing that I’d take a lot of time off just to deal with. I’d certainly never just come by before or after work. But I also wouldn’t want to do it on any sort of regular basis! It would be WAY too much effort and I wouldn’t be able to just live a normal life.

I’m guilty of not dressing nice during weekday Mass. Certainly not on Sundays though.

I’m not sure “the final song” is right, there doesn’t even need to be a recessional hymn. I have asked around and the answer I remember best is that you wait for the priest to step down from the area where the altar is, though I’m not sure how this works in some church architectures

I think, God always keep a low profile. He wants us to find Him in the least & the last in our society.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.