Mass in Spanish

I like to go to a Church that has set Mass times of 7:00 am, 8:30 am, 10:30 am, 1 pm and 5 pm on Sunday.

It seems because of work schedule and transportation I will only be able to attend the 1 pm Mass. Well, the problem is, the 1 pm is in Spanish and I do not know Spanish.

Should I go ahead and go anyway? Do you think I will be looked down upon somewhat for not really singing or kind of being lost? Does it really matter that I won't understand?

If it is ok for me to go to Mass in Spanish, it seems like I will be going quite often because of my schedule.

I would attend if this is the only time you are able to attend d/t to your schedule. It doesn't matter what language the Mass is in, you will be able to follow along because the sitting, the standing, the praying sections, 1st & 2nd readings you can follow in English if you have a way of reading them before church. It won't matter because you will be able to follow along. Everyone knows when it's time for the peace and communion. It's all the same process just different language. I don't understand a word of Philipino, and I have attended their Masses, and I was able to follow along and even try to read some of it. It was lots of fun. Hispanics are very lovable, kind, caring people. They accept everyone just as they are. They will welcome you w/ open arms and admire that you come to the Spanish Mass even though you do not understand the language. That is great. Go and enjoy it. We all bleed the same regardless of what language we speak. Don't allow the schedule to stop you from attending any language Mass. You can always pray in English. Go and Enjoy it! God Bless You. Dios Te Bendiga!!!!

GO
Try the following web pages for the Spanish in Mass

What Are some of the responses in a Spanish Mass

Side by side English and Spanish

That should work. I usually bring my Latin-Spanish booklet I printed out myself. People seem very devout.

You receive the same graces from a Mass regardless of your ability to understand or participate in it. It is certainly commendable that you are considering going.

You have two choices: obtain a copy of the Order of Mass in Spanish and follow along as best you can, or simply make the responses as you know them in English. Either one is acceptable. Of course, if you choose English, it goes without saying that you shouldn’t use a loud voice or be disrespectful. If your parish is worth its salt then it will have missallettes, hopefully bilingual ones, for you to borrow during the liturgy.

Spanish is a great language to speak because it is pronounced in a precise literal sense. Once you know the phonemes you are set - no exceptions (unless you switch dialects, to say Castellano.)

Buena suerte.

When my son took Spanish in high school part of his requirements were to attend Spanish Mass. We did this several times. There were very few things that were different. We couldn’t understand the homily of course, but the missal had side by side English/Spanish because the parish had both Spanish and English masses as did the one you describe. That missal probably saved on buying two seperate missals, so maybe that might be the case for you, if not you could probably purchase a spanish/english missal somewhere.

We were never looked down upon and everyone was friendly.

I think it would be fine.

Perfect understanding is not necessary since you know that the Mass is the Holy Sacrifice of Christ. You can unite yourself in prayer to father’s intentions at the altar without following his every word.

But I suggest getting a daily missal so you can read the prayers of the Mass in your own language. It doesn’t need to have the Spanish, since you can figure out what part of the Mass is being prayed by non-verbal cues.

As someone who almost always attends Mass in Latin, this doesn’t sound like much of a stretch. I don’t think will have any difficulty.

I’ve attended a Spanish Mass and I don’t speak Spanish. I brought up the readings on my cell phone and read along. They didn’t have any English missals or I would have used that. I spent the time during the homily in prayer. I’m sure I’ll go back one day.

My church has a spanish mass that I want to go to, I say go for it!!!

I'm an Anglo who likes to attend spanish mass from time to time at a small local church. The congregation is welcoming. In the past, the priest who said mass had learned spanish when he moved to this church and he struggled a bit with speaking the language.

The congregation was very supportive and members helped him translate his sermons from English to Spanish.
My local church has the side by side missal and I love contemplating the translations. The real presence of Our Lord in the Eucharist is the same and the piety of the chuchgers inspiratonal. I hope you give it a try. :)

For centuries Catholics were obliged to attend Mass in a dead language they didn’t understand .:shrug:

Or hear.

[quote="arkwright, post:11, topic:287345"]
For centuries Catholics were obliged to attend Mass in a dead language they didn't understand .:shrug:

[/quote]

Speaking of understanding, I would bet most of those at a Spanish Mass within the U.S. do understand a lot of English. It just seems they just feel more comfortable within their own culture, in their own language, and with their own acquaintances. I do see many at the EF Mass, however, and I'll let readers draw their own conclusions.

Contact the priest first and then at least he can be expecting you. May be ask for if some one can sit with you through the service at first, not because you're stranger at the service but because of language issues. You don't need it translating, just so that you are feeling as though not everyone is staring at you etc. :)

:confused::rolleyes:

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.