Mass in the New World

The Cathedral in Santo Domingo, which I often visit as my wife is Dominican, is the oldest church in the New World. Construction began in the early 1500s. This is a church in the Americas that predates the Protestant Reformation by at least a few years. As I was at the cathedral for mass today, it occurred to me that it also predates Trent and the Tridentine codification of the Roman missal. Does anyone know what, if any differences, in the mass one would have found in the Spanish Empire pre-Trent when mass was first celebrated in the Americas?

Did I create this thread under Non-Catholic Religions or was it moved? It was supposed to be under Liturgy & Sacraments… ?

Considering the “Tridentine Mass,” as many for some weird reason like to call it (it’s better called the Roman Mass in my opinion), dates from about the 6th century it’s unlikely things would have seemed much different when the place was built as they do today in the Extraordinary Form.

Considering the “Tridentine Mass,” as many for some weird reason like to call it (it’s better called the Roman Mass in my opinion), for the most part dates from about the 6th century during the days of Pope Saint Gregory the Great, it’s unlikely things would have seemed much different when the place was built as they do today in the Extraordinary Form. All Trent did was remove extra prayers that made their way into the Missal without permission over the years which made Masses very long as well as make the Mass uniform for everyone so it would be celebrated the same way everywhere.

Considering the “Tridentine Mass,” as many for some weird reason like to call it (it’s better called the Roman Mass in my opinion), for the most part dates from about the 6th century during the days of Pope Saint Gregory the Great, it’s unlikely things would have seemed much different when the place was built as they do today in the Extraordinary Form. It’s my understanding that all Trent did was remove extra prayers that made their way into the Missal without permission over the years which made Masses very long, as well as making the Mass uniform for everyone so it would be celebrated the same way everywhere. The Mass after Trent was perhaps a revert back to the way it had already been.

The only thing I would add is that there were a few rites that were allowed to continue as long as they were at least 200 years old at the time of Trent.

Will the moderators please move this to the appropriate forum? I was using my phone when I created this thread and must have accidentally clicked on “Non-Catholic Religions”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.