Mass in Washington DC?

Hi

I’ll be in DC on Sunday 20th. I’m from Europe and I’ve never been there.

I was wondering if any of you could, in your charity, suggest any Churches where Mass is celebrated reverently in DC. Preferably I’d like to go to an afternoon mass, but late morning is fine. I’ll be staying around Mass. Avenue NW, so I’d like to go to a Church which is not too far off from downtown.

I have Traditionalist tendencies but I don’t mind a well done Novus Ordo in English. I just don’t want to end up in a church that celebrates guitar liturgy or gospel, or Mass in Spanish, Russian, or what not.

Thank you so much!

1. Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

Sundays Solemn Mass 12PM, 1:30 (Spanish) & 4:30

nationalshrine.com/site/c.osJRKVPBJnH/b.4747627/k.B88F/Masses.htm

1. Traditional Masses

[ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm#Washington D.C.](“http://www.ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm#Washington D.C.”)

Sundays 9AM; 2nd Sunday also at 5PM

The Basilica of the National Shrine is a must-see.

I agree. The National Shrine is a must for any Catholic who visits Washington, D.C. It is awesome in many ways. My family and I went there a lot when we lived in Maryland. Among many other good things about it, we like how they had a lot of times available for confession. And the National Shrine is something that I wanted to make sure that my children experienced as part of their Catholic heritage so that one day they can look back and remember going there.

Thank you so much peeps. I don’t know where I’m going to end up for Mass, but I’m surely going to visit the National Shrine while there.

Besides the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (nationalshrine.com), I also HIGHLY recommend visiting:

[LIST]
*]Mt. St. Sepulchre Franciscan Monastery. www.myfranciscan.org
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]the Blessed Pope John Paul II Shirne www.jp2shrine.org
[/LIST]

[LIST]
*]Ukrainian Catholic National Shrine of the Holy Family www.ucns-holyfamily.org
[/LIST]

All of the above three, plus the Basilica are on or close to Catholic University of America.

Plus, there is:
[LIST]
*]Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle where President Kennedy’s funeral was held: www.stmatthewscathedral.org (on Sundays, they have mass in the Ordinary Form, but in Latin at 10am)
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.