Mass Intention for non-catholic?

Greetings brothers and sisters in Christ,

Is there an official canon law against offerring a Mass Intention for a non-catholic?

Thanks for your help!

Sincerely in Christ,

Corrgc

Sorry I don’t know canon law, but I greatly doubt that it is forbidden to say Mass for those who aren’t Catholic. Surely Mass could be offered for government officials, even those who aren’t Catholic, or for someone’s conversion, or for the repose of the soul of someone who isn’t Catholic.

You may certainly offer a Mass for a non-Catholic. If I’m not sure that they would appreciate it, I don’t let them know. In one case I asked my friend if she’d be offended if I had a Mass offered for her mom who was Anglican. This was her response: “Having a mass celebrated for her would be nice. Now that she’s in heaven, she’ll be able to see that the Roman Catholics are there too with the Anglicans, hand in hand.”

Ok, I know, we don’t assume she’s in heaven but I thought the sentiment was nice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.