Mass Intention - Is this Church under Rome?

Hello;
sorry to bother you, I need some help...

I bought some Masses on the internet thinking the website was under Rome's Jurisdiction, but when I got the Mass cards through the post it said "Byzantine Rite, Greek Catholic Church UKRAINE"... (based in Texas America)...

Is this still okay? Will the Masses be the Same? I spent too much money already for this not to be Catholic or wrong in some way...

here is a link to the website: philomena.org/mass_requests.asp You can understand why I got confused - they talk about the Rosary/ Scapular/ Masses etc...

Your urgent reply is greatly appreciated..

Thanks

atour

Haven’t checked out the site, but assuming everything is legit, it sounds like an Eastern Catholic Church, which is fully Catholic in every way, just not Latin. The Mass (Divine Liturgy) would look different, but be the same.

Edit: If wikipedia is to believed, the site belongs to an organization that has been canonically approved since 1827, so chances are everything is good.

Disclaimer: I don’t know of this group, so I cannot confirm that they are legitimate. However, I have no reason to believe that they aren’t.

That said, you don’t need to worry. The card says, “Byzantine Rite, Greek Catholic Church Ukraine.” The Byzantine Rite is one of the Eastern Rites, so the Mass will not be the one that you are used to, it might even be in Greek. However, the “Catholic” means that they are in union with Rome and with the Pope. If it said “Greek Orthodox,” that means that they are not in union with Rome, but even then their Masses are still valid (in other words, it’s a real Mass). We have a Byzantine Rite Catholic Church where I live. Their Divine Liturgy (what they call the Mass) is absolutely beautiful and I would suggest that you attend it if you can.

In the future, I recommend that you go through your parish Church to get Mass intentions. They usually publish the intentions in the bulletin and may even announce it at Mass.

Finally, please don’t say that you “bought some Masses.” You can’t buy a Mass. The stipend has two purposes. First, in some parts of the world the Mass stipend is the only financial support the priest gets. Second, a priest can only celebrate so many Masses, so the stipend helps to keep people from having dozens and dozens of Masses said. Where I am, the priest can’t ask for more than $5 per Mass, this is precisely to limit the perception that the sacraments can be bought.

Thank you and God bless.

Fr. Bryan

hello Fr. Bryan

Apologies for my manner in this: I will try not publicize my concerns over the web next time if I can help it (being a mental health patient doesnt make things always easy)…

I appreciate your response, thankyou. I wasnt sure about the Stripend and the “buying” of Masses, didnt know that either - thankyou.

I will try look where my parish displays the Mass intentions, in the missel, doesnt seem to be that many if I am honest…? I hope I am not mistaken!!!

The group call themselves “The Universal Living Rosary Association of Saint Philomena” just to add…

Thankyou again… also Thanks to the previous poster - he gave me some peace.

Just one thing to add, I find it easier offering Masses over the internet with my credit card I think alot clearer, and am alot more organsied than writing a list out and going to my Parish with Cash. So if there are any legitimate websites for this, I appreciate a link. But to be honest (with your responses) I am happy to stay with www.philomena.org … if it is legit.

then again… maybe I should go to my Parish?? You see my indecision… but

Thankyou all anyways:

atour

P.S. I wanted peace in my soul, and I got it. thankyou…

You might want to pray to St. Dymphna - the patron saint for all of us with mental and/or emotional problems.

They are legit.

Thanks Bonnie you made my day… You know we get all our saintly ideas sometimes late at night when God moves us and we cant sleep, so the internet is a great tool for this if we can put things right with God for people and really become saints through the arm of the holy (RC) priest.

Also something else that threw me, The Cards are signed “Rev. Father. X” ; do Catholic priests also sign their names in this manner.

To be honest I have emailed the man in question, and I hope for a reponse sooner rather than later but I appreciate all your imput.

I will pray to that Saint you mentioned, I’ll try learn her name first - I think she has been mentioned on EWTN.

Many Thanks and Blessing To you

atour

Some do. Properly, it should be “The Reverend Father X” but I think a lot of people drop the “the.”

Thanks Bonnie, Your a real Blessing… !!!

Just to note: Ive Been Catholic since 1980… :slight_smile:

Thankyou so much…

atour

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
is now,
and ever shall be,
world without end.
Amen.**

Next time try CNEWA. cnewa.us/default.aspx?ID=125&pagetypeID=25&sitecode=US&pageno=1

If you get a chance to go to a Byzantine/Ukrainian church, for Devine Liturgy (Mass) GO! Just be prepared, mass is about 2 hours long and everything is sung; and yes, it does fulfill your Sunday obligation.

I took my confirmation class to St. Basil’s, Byzantine/Ukrainian church, in Lancaster, NY, this past December. The Pastor, Fr. Bob, came to our parish and gave a talk to the class, the day before, about the eastern churches. Fr. Bob is bi-ritual, and has celebrated mass, in the Latin rite, at my parish several times.

thanks Danny and Thomas.. xx much appreciated the link as well.... I have no doubt I'll be using that...

Are you sure? Looks like they are sede vecantisits.

Really? Well, I could be wrong. I based my reply on a friend’s recommendation of the site.

No, the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church is one of 22 sui iuris Eastern Catholic Churches in communion with Rome. They are as Catholic as the Pope is.

So they are Roman Catholic?

They are Ukrainian Catholic, in communion with Rome. They are part of the [Roman] Catholic Church.

Ah okay, so they also have Roman practices such as Eucharistic adoration, the rosary etc.?

I just looked at the website and I share your concern. The website most definitely portrays a Roman Catholic group (referring the the Mass, scapulars, rosaries, etc.), along with pictures of a Roman Mass. The website is very western, and gives no indication of an affiliation with an eastern Catholic church. Perhaps they work with a Ukrainian Catholic priest from time to time? It just seems strange to me. They claim millions of members worldwide, but they don’t really tell us who they are and what they do. Does the Mass card mention a parish? You might look up the priest’s name and see what you can find out there. Otherwise, maybe you could call them at the phone number listed on the site and ask your questions directly. Besides, $20 for a Mass intention seems like a lot. If this donation is to support their ministry, it is important that you are sending your money to an organization that you can support in good conscience.

A Ukrainian Catholic parish would not have such practices, but many parishioners might pray the rosary and participate in Eucharistic adoration at other parishes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.