Mass intentions OF a deceased person/saints

I notice in our church bulletin that a foundation Mass is said this week for the intentions of the architect who built our parish church. This just raised the question, can you have a mass said for the intentions of the deceased person (as opposed to the intention of the deceased); and in a similar way can one offer a Mass in union with the intentions of a particular saint?

If the mass is said in honor of a particular saint then in the mass they are honoring that saint, but if the mass is said for a deceased perso nyou know then the intentions are for if he is in Purgatory. Hope that cleared things up a little for you. :signofcross:

[quote="Neil_McFhane, post:1, topic:287531"]
I notice in our church bulletin that a foundation Mass is said this week for the intentions of the architect who built our parish church. This just raised the question, can you have a mass said for the intentions of the deceased person (as opposed to the intention of the deceased); and in a similar way can one offer a Mass in union with the intentions of a particular saint?

[/quote]

I don't think the bulletin wording was technically correct inasmuch as the intention is offered up by the priest for the benefit of the architect - not for the intention of the architect (unless of course he is still alive). Nevertheless most would know what the bulletin statement meant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.