Mass intentions

I’m not really sure where this question belonged, so if this isn’t the right forum, my apologies, I won’t be upset if it gets moved.

One of my best friends died yesterday at the age of 20. We are all still in shock over it. I know I’m a mess. But I wanted to contact my parish about dedicating a mass for him. I have two questions about it though:

1. Is it appropriate for me to do so in the first place? My friend’s mom and I haven’t always gotten along, so I’m afraid of asking her opinion on it, but I’m going to ask her anyway. I just want to make sure I’m not being presumptuous before I do so.

2. Can a non-Catholic have a Mass dedicated in his honor? I haven’t skimmed the Catechism yet but I figured someone on CAF would know. I can’t think of a reason why not, but I wanted to make sure before I called the parish office and had them tell me no way.

I am so sorry for your loss. I do not know about having a Mass said for a non-Catholic would you consider asking for a Mass for your own special intentions which could include your friend’s soul as well as your own needs.

Be prepared for your church to give you a date several months out. In the meantime, you can offer your own prayers, attendance at Masses, and communions for all the poor souls in purgatory.

The Mass may be offered for anyone at all and arranged by anyone at all. It is almost always appreciated, except by the most anti-Catholic people. You need only to go to your parish office and ask for a Mass card. They will put your friend’s name on the calendar to be remembered at Mass on a particular day, receive your offering (usually $5-$10), and give you a card to give to the family. When you visit the funeral home, give the card to a family member.

I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Betsy

No advice to offer, but please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend.

I appreciate all the condolences. Thanks for the replies. Easter Sunday is going to be bittersweet because I know Conrad is going to be joining God in the Beatific Vision just as we are celebrating Christ’s resurrection.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.