Mass Marketing Survey

It seems that many of us choose a Mass based on our preferences in music and whatnot. If you could custom-design a Mass, what would you omit?

I will allow this thread if there is no denigrating of any rite of the Church and we keep it charitable. Thank you all.

I like to sing...some songs not so much, but generally..
Eliminating communion under both species would negate most of the EMHC's
..And I think we all agree on the hand holding..:rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of singing, but that's mainly because I sound like a screeching cat :p I don't dislike it though...

Personally, If I could have my way, organ music would be the order of the day in every service, none of the guitar stuff... and the hand holding thing.. I don't really care for that... it's not a bad practice, I just don't really like touching people XD

I voted for eliminating the sign of peace since at my parish the hand-shaking business edges out into the rest of the Mass. It's a friendly parish but sometimes people get left out. I have mixed feelings about receiving both species but we would still need EMHC's at our Masses even if we received just the Host. Currently I think we use about 16 per Mass. I like to sing even if some people prefer I didn't and I kind of like holding hands during the Our Father. :blush:

What would be nice is if we were silent right before Mass instead of chatting but then how would we catch up on things and see the pictures of the great-grandchildren. :shrug: Of course :coffee: we could have coffee and doughnuts in the vestibule right afterward. ;)

By "Both species" do you mean the Body AND the blood? I thought that was mandatory part of the mass.

[quote="Richard320, post:1, topic:303646"]
It seems that many of us choose a Mass based on our preferences in music and whatnot. If you could custom-design a Mass, what would you omit?

[/quote]

This would be my ideal (obviously not always the reality, but we did get very close to this ideal at my former parish). If I could "custom-design" a mass, I'd have a mixed English/Latin mass in the Ordinary Form. The parts of the mass would either be chanted or in polyphony, sung by a well-trained volunteer choir with professional section leaders who would help support the congregation singing. I'd have the propers chanted or sung in hymn-form and then also have Latin or English choral motets during the Offertory and Communion. The Recessional would be a traditional hymn or an organ instrumental. The organ would be in good working condition and the organist would be exemplary. We'd receive communion kneeling at an altar rail. I would only have the cantor use the microphone while singing the psalm and Gospel Acclamation. The cantor would not use the mic at any other point unless absolutely needed and would not use hand gestures often used during the mass. The cantor would also only be down front during the psalm and Gospel acclamation and then do the rest of the mass with the choir from the loft or whereever the choir is situated.

Again, only my ideal. My husband and I tried to get as close as to this when we planned our liturgy for when we got married. We were ignorant of the propers, though, at that time in our lives. Our cantor sang from the loft and without a microphone (she didn't need it). She also chanted the intercessions and acted as soloist for whatever choral motets required it. The sung parts of the mass were in Latin and either chanted or sung in polyphony by the choir, including chanting the Our Father in Latin. We did not have professional section leaders in the choirs, but they were a good volunteer choir and the organist was our friend and one of the best in the city.

[quote="ProdglArchitect, post:6, topic:303646"]
By "Both species" do you mean the Body AND the blood? I thought that was mandatory part of the mass.

[/quote]

Yes..Body and Blood.

No, not mandatory. Never was. One is A-O-K.

Sorry, I missed the actual poll. The only thing I voted to be omitted in the poll would be the hand-holding during the "Our Father" and I'm only thinking about when the entire congregation does it. I'm not comfortable doing that and it feels forced and phony for me if I have to do it. It doesn't bother me when individual families/friends do it. That said, our area really isn't too big into that practice, so it's kind of a non-issue.

I love singing, so I wouldn't omit that. Although I only receive under one species, it doesn't bother me when others do both. The same with the sign of peace. The parishes around here tend to be more conservative during the sign of peace, so it doesn't bother me.

I don't want anything omitted on the poll. :)

[quote="Armor_of_Light, post:8, topic:303646"]
Yes..Body and Blood.

No, not mandatory. Never was. One is A-O-K.

[/quote]

I know you only need to partake of one, but I thought both needed to be offered in case someone couldn't take one of them (i.e. a gluten allergy)

[quote="Sarabande, post:7, topic:303646"]
This would be my ideal (obviously not always the reality, but we did get very close to this ideal at my former parish). If I could "custom-design" a mass, I'd have a mixed English/Latin mass in the Ordinary Form. The parts of the mass would either be chanted or in polyphony, sung by a well-trained volunteer choir with professional section leaders who would help support the congregation singing. I'd have the propers chanted or sung in hymn-form and then also have Latin or English choral motets during the Offertory and Communion. The Recessional would be a traditional hymn or an organ instrumental. The organ would be in good working condition and the organist would be exemplary. We'd receive communion kneeling at an altar rail. I would only have the cantor use the microphone while singing the psalm and Gospel Acclamation. The cantor would not use the mic at any other point unless absolutely needed and would not use hand gestures often used during the mass. The cantor would also only be down front during the psalm and Gospel acclamation and then do the rest of the mass with the choir from the loft or whereever the choir is situated.

[/quote]

This sounds awesome, just plain awesome.

[quote="Richard320, post:1, topic:303646"]

[/quote]

I would not omit any of those things. The hand-holding should be optional. Both species should be the norm.

I only checked "hand-holding." I'll do it, but I'm not a touchy-feely person, so if I had my way I'd get rid of it.
Somewhat paradoxically, I like the sign of peace. I don't really have a problem shaking hands with the people immediately around me. I guess a quick handshake bothers me less than a minute of hand-holding.
I like singing, I just can't stand most of the songs. I would never eliminate the singing itself, but most modern Catholic hymns sound like 90s TV show themes. Sometimes they're so bad that I get excited to see classic Protestant hymns like "Amazing Grace," "Ein' Feste Burg," and "Holy Holy Holy, Lord God Almighty" because they're way better than "Gather Us In," "We Remember," or "Here I Am Lord." So singing in and of itself is a-okay, but I'd be rewriting the hymnals left and right.
As far as communion under both species, I personally don't have a preference because I most always receive the Host only. Whatever a given church does, though, they should make clear that each species is the whole works - Body, Blood, Soul, Divinity - so that no one falls into a false belief about the Eucharist.

The Mass is NOT a fluid event based on popularity poles. IF so it would loose it's grace, and sacramental benefits. A church shaped by fluctuating, modernistic, ever changing disires, and opinions is weak, and open to constant error. We can't change everthing by popular opinion, however, more contemporary music would be nice.:rolleyes:

[quote="cradlecatholic5, post:10, topic:303646"]
I don't want anything omitted on the poll. :)

[/quote]

What "I" want is not important.

I want the sacraments. How I get them is up to the Church. Dogs who beg at their master's table shouldn't be picky.

-Tim-

[quote="TimothyH, post:15, topic:303646"]
What "I" want is not important.

I want the sacraments. How I get them is up to the Church. Dogs who beg at their master's table shouldn't be picky.

-Tim-

[/quote]

This is a purely hypothetical scenario, and none of the presented options conflict with Church Doctrine. They are more a matter of custom. No harm in discussing that ^^

I have seen very little hand holding here in the uk, where I have seen it, it has been done by a specific ethnic community. I have checked hand holding because it wouldn't represent a change here.

[quote="Armor_of_Light, post:8, topic:303646"]

Ya'll are confusing the question. The question isn't "body and blood", because the tiniest speck of the host or drop of the Precious Blood is completely "Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity".

The question being asked is whether the distribution of the Eucharist should be hosts only, or hosts and Precious Blood.

I would keep it all, EVEN THE HAND HOLDING! gasp

;)

[quote="Sarabande, post:7, topic:303646"]

Again, only my ideal. My husband and I tried to get as close as to this when we planned our liturgy for when we got married. We were ignorant of the propers, though, at that time in our lives. Our cantor sang from the loft and without a microphone (she didn't need it). She also chanted the intercessions and acted as soloist for whatever choral motets required it. The sung parts of the mass were in Latin and either chanted or sung in polyphony by the choir, including chanting the Our Father in Latin. We did not have professional section leaders in the choirs, but they were a good volunteer choir and the organist was our friend and one of the best in the city.

[/quote]

Swap English for French and you have the Mass I attend every Sunday. The Propers and Ordinary are in Gregorian chant (7 days a week! But I generally only attend on Sundays due to work), and the rest is chanted in French plainchant. Obviously Ordinary Form.

A few minor differences, there's no psalm, instead the Gradual is chanted. The recessional is on a magnificent pipe organ; the titular organist is the abbot and is a wonderful organist. The schola is of course made up of the best voices among the monks. They chant from the choir, which is between the sanctuary and the nave in the classic monastic layout.

There's no communion rail, being a benedictine monastery, people receive communion at the enclosure gate, standing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.