Mass obligation fulfilled?

My sons and husband went to Scout camp this weekend. Saturday night always includes "church"--no, no clergy is present, no Eucharist. Just a service of worship. Today of course, is Superbowl Sunday and they missed all the AM Masses. Tonight in town we have a 6 and 6:30 service and they want to skip citing the Saturday night service. Advice? I know what I think is right. DVR it and go to Mass, but what are other thoughts? Am I too strict on this?

[quote="KimberlyAnn0218, post:1, topic:313583"]
I know what I think is right

[/quote]

I think you'vre answered that for yourself.

Most of us (I would think, well me anyway) have been guilty of skipping Mass on ocassion, so I wouldn't want to give advice on that. It doesn't make it right though.

Good luck and God bless.

You are correct, a general christian service does not substitute for Holy Mass.

[quote="mfrances, post:3, topic:313583"]
You are correct, a general christian service does not substitute for Holy Mass.

[/quote]

This is correct. They MUST go to Mass or incur grave sin.

My sons and husband went to Scout camp this weekend. Saturday night always includes "church"--no, no clergy is present, no Eucharist. Just a service of worship. Today of course, is Superbowl Sunday and they missed all the AM Masses. Tonight in town we have a 6 and 6:30 service and they want to skip citing the Saturday night service. Advice? I know what I think is right. DVR it and go to Mass, but what are other thoughts? Am I too strict on this?

[/quote]

As you're aware, the first precept of the Church is to attend Mass on Sundays and holy days. It doesn't say "except when you go to something else where there's no clergy and no Eucharist."

So the question is, do you watch the Super Bowl or go to Mass? What is the lesson you want to teach your sons about this?

The obligation is to attend Sunday Mass at a Catholic Church (or the Saturday evening anticipatory 'vigil' Mass) unless having been dispensed from that obligation by one's parish priest (perhaps, but not exclusively, by reason of having a job that requires you to be unable to present yourself for a Sunday Mass) or having been validly prevented from attending Mass by reason of illness of oneself or someone for whom you are a carer, incapacity, unreasonable distance or, in certain circumstances, the necessity to travel.

Nothing else will do.

Go to Mass on Sunday evening. Sporting events although enjoyable are not an excuse. Tell your sons and husband that they should go to Mass and that God will appreciate their sacrifice of their sporting enjoyment for an hour.

Isn't Superbowl completely swamped with advert breaks anyway? You'd probably be best watching it somewhat after it starts and fast-forwarding through the ad breaks. You'll might well catch up with the live broadcast before it ends anyway...

For Heaven's sake go to Mass. This is a no-brainer. It's a matter of your immortal soul and those of your family!!

I know this seems like a no-brainer. It's just trying to move from a non-practing Catholic family to a practicing one without scaring the kids away is difficult. Parents not on the same page doesn't help.

The True Sabbath

In the fourth commandment, it states that the 7th day is the sabbath. If we look at a calender, we see that the 7th day is Saturtday. Now of course the Hebrew people didn't call it Saturday because that is a name of another Pagan God. So it was called the 7th day.

During the time of the Messiah Yehowshuwa, the day of rest was the 7th day.

At first the true followers of Yehowah and his son Yehowshuwa, were keeping the 7th day Sabbath. But as they were killed off and died, and time had passed, the 'day of rest' got changed to Sunday. They day the Roman Pagans worshiped the Sun. Sol Invictus, the invincible sun.

Constantine was said to be the high priest for the Sol Invictus, which was carried on from Babylon, which was carried on from Egypt.

(Constantine was said to have conquered in the sign of the Cross, or the Chi Rho. This picture on the right shows the the Catholic Church is the continuation of Constantine).

In 321 AD Constantine, enacted the Sunday law, enforcing that the ' Day of the Sun' should
be a rest day. This brought all the sun worshipers into the Church, with their money.
And the Catholic Church continued this observance. The Catholic Church is the mother of all the Christian Churches. This is the reason most Protestant churches also keep Sunday. Because the come from the' mother church'.

The fourth commandment states:
Exodus 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
10 But the seventh day the sabbath of Yehowah thy God: thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that within thy gates:
11 For six days Yehowah made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them , and rested the seventh day: wherefore Yehowah blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

I have inserted the name of the Almighty that was written in the original Hebrew Script that has been replaced by the word LORD in most bibles. And by reading the above commandment, it clearly states who is the Creator

To read about the true bible names and the incorrect use of the title 'Christ' instead of Messias, see the following hubpages.com/hub/biblenames

Sun Worship

One of the requirements in sun worship is a need for three gods, father, mother and child. The child becomes the reincarnation of the father. Nimrod, Tammuz and Semiramis was one of the oldest trinity, the three-in-one Sungod. And we know that the bible states that the earlier Jews were worshiping Tammuz.

Ezekiel 8:14 Then he brought me to the door of the gate of Yehowah's house which toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

This tradition is still alive today in the Christian Churches, starting with the Catholic Church. They have continued this form of sun worship. Constantine was the emperor who enforced the Trinity in 325 AD.
All the people that would not conform, were scattered or killed.

Constantine himself was the high priest of sun worship, Sol Invictus. He continued this religion and called it Christianity. The Catholic Church uses these signs, symbols and rituals that come from sun worship. For example, IHS, which most people believe stands for the monogram of Jesus, or the Greek Iesous also stands for Isis, Horus, and Seth
(the Egyptian Trinity).

So in keeping with the traditions of sun worship, they have changed the true sabbath, the 7th day, to the 1st day Sunday, the day of the sun. And incorporated the trinity concept.

Saturday night Mass is the same as Sunday Mass. Sunday night (after sunset) Mass is the same as Monday Mass. The Liturgical day starts and ends at sunset.

Assuming that the 6 and 6:30 service starts after dark, it is not a Sunday Mass of obligation. It is a Monday Mass.

I won't argue whether or not the Sunday night masses count because around here the Sunday Mass readings are used for 5:30, 6:00 and 6:30 PM Sunday Masses. In wintertime around here 6:30 pm is darker out, not true in the summer. Why split hairs and count them in the summer and not winter

[quote="KimberlyAnn0218, post:11, topic:313583"]
I won't argue whether or not the Sunday night masses count because around here the Sunday Mass readings are used for 5:30, 6:00 and 6:30 PM Sunday Masses. In wintertime around here 6:30 pm is darker out, not true in the summer. Why split hairs and count them in the summer and not winter

[/quote]

Yes, I agree. If they are celebrating the Sunday Mass (Sunday readings, etc) and not the Monday Mass, then it is still Sunday Mass. :)

My sons and husband went to Scout camp this weekend. Saturday night always includes "church"--no, no clergy is present, no Eucharist. Just a service of worship. Today of course, is Superbowl Sunday and they missed all the AM Masses. Tonight in town we have a 6 and 6:30 service and they want to skip citing the Saturday night service. Advice?

[/quote]

Nope.

Their obligation is to attend MASS, not a boy scout prayer service.

[quote="JD27076, post:1, topic:313535"]
Am I too strict on this?

[/quote]

Nope. Sorry, they will simply have to miss part of the super bowl.

[quote="Zekariya, post:10, topic:313583"]
Saturday night Mass is the same as Sunday Mass. Sunday night (after sunset) Mass is the same as Monday Mass. The Liturgical day starts and ends at sunset.

Assuming that the 6 and 6:30 service starts after dark, it is not a Sunday Mass of obligation. It is a Monday Mass.

[/quote]

This is not accurate. In the Latin Rite, the Masses on Saturday evening are anticipated Masses for Sunday, and all Masses on Sunday are the Sunday Mass-- up until Midnight Sunday night.

Can't speak for any other Rite.

[quote="Zekariya, post:12, topic:313583"]
Yes, I agree. If they are celebrating the Sunday Mass (Sunday readings, etc) and not the Monday Mass, then it is still Sunday Mass. :)

[/quote]

Readings are not relevant.

Can. 202 §1. In law, a day is understood as a period consisting of 24 continuous hours and begins at midnight unless other provision is expressly made.

Can.* 1248 §1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

[quote="1ke, post:14, topic:313583"]
This is not accurate. In the Latin Rite, the Masses on Saturday evening are anticipated Masses for Sunday, and all Masses on Sunday are the Sunday Mass-- up until Midnight Sunday night.

Can't speak for any other Rite.

[/quote]

Thanks for this clarification. In the Byzantine and Coptic Rites, Vespers (which is prayed in the evening) starts the next liturgical day. It is the same for those who practice Judaism (sunset starts the next day).

Seems like this is getting a bit derailed. Your family who attended a "service" at boy scout camp did not fulfill their obligation to attend the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. If they choose not to attend tonight due to the super bowl game, they should get to confession before receiving communion next weekend.

I caved. It's hard to not be supported. I was being "pushy"---so now I will be the one going to confession because it is my job and I failed at it. One of the boys, the youngest came home sick so he really shouldn't have gone to mass so that's ok, but the older two should have gone.

Behind every good man is a woman's foot.
So they get mad at you...what are they going to do about it? Cook their own food for a week?

Actually, the Fourth Commandment states, Thou shalt honour thy mother and thy father, that the days of thy life shall be long in the land that the Lord thy God hath given thee. :wink:

It’s the Third Commandment that speaks of the Sabbath, which was fulfilled when Jesus rested in Hell on the Saturday before Easter Sunday, when He was raised from the dead, making Sunday the holiest day of the week from that time onward. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.