Mass obligations and school

ok so i am in FCCLA at school and in april (i will have been baptized by then) we are taking a field trip. we love on thursday and arent going to be back until Sunday evening. can i skip Mass for this reason. i cant drive so there is NO way i can go Sunday, and ofcourse on a field trip there will be no oppurtunity to go to MAss. shouuld i just not go on the trip? is it a sin to miss Mass for this reason, I dont HAVE to go on the trip, it would just be for fun (and school stuff ofcourse)

You don't say where the field trip is going to but they should, if at all possible, make some accommodation for people to attend church.

Talk to your priest. He is the one who can answer you.

You may need a dispens of your priest.

Talk to your priest.

A weekend youth workshop/retreat/program should make some arrangements for students who have religious obligations. Have you spoken with the organization's leaders?

Your priest can dispense you from the obligation to attend mass.

[quote="devoutchristian, post:6, topic:300096"]
Your priest can dispense you from the obligation to attend mass.

[/quote]

thanks! ha i actually decided not to go anyway

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:1, topic:300096"]
ok so i am in FCCLA at school and in april (i will have been baptized by then) we are taking a field trip. we love on thursday and arent going to be back until Sunday evening. can i skip Mass for this reason. i cant drive so there is NO way i can go Sunday, and ofcourse on a field trip there will be no oppurtunity to go to MAss. shouuld i just not go on the trip? is it a sin to miss Mass for this reason, I dont HAVE to go on the trip, it would just be for fun (and school stuff ofcourse)

[/quote]

1. Your NOT yet baptized so you may BUT

2. Because you are ware of the obligation you OUGHT to make it up durring the week.

3. Once baptized this would not be an excused absense unless the trip was MANDATED.

In which case you could do it and make it up on a weekday.:)

Be safe and stay close to God so that he will stay close to you.

God Bless,
pat/PJM

[quote="PJM, post:8, topic:300096"]
1. Your NOT yet baptized so you may BUT

1. Because you are ware of the obligation you OUGHT to make it up durring the week.

2. Once baptized this would not be an excused absense unless the trip was MANDATED.

In which case you could do it and make it up on a weekday.:)

Be safe and stay close to God so that he will stay close to you.

God Bless,
pat/PJM

[/quote]

You cannot make up a Sunday Mass obligation with a weekday Mass. If you cannot make Mass on Sunday for a justified reason (ie sick, no transportation, etc.) than you are excused the obligation. Otherwise you need to go to confession. It is always best to speak to your priest to get a dispensation before or advice or absolution afterward.

In this case, the OP doesn't have an obligation because she is not yet Catholic. If she were, she should speak to her priest before the trip. We can't always avoid every trip - people travel for work (school), family obligations, etc and sometimes cannot make Mass. Priests understand this also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.