Mass offered

Hi,

I received a card with this written on it

“Holy Mass was offered today for your intentions”

Just wondering what it actually means ( it was my from my co-worker with whom I have been discussing Catholicism)

Thanks
Heather

Every Mass is offered with an intention - basically the Mass is prayed for someone and their needs. In addition, anyone at that Mass can offer the Mass (their own prayer) for an intention (or a few intentions).

It is similar to somone saying "I prayed for you today", but in a more formal way. Your friend requested that your name be formally included in the intentions for the Mass at their parish or perhaps a shrine.

If someone else had told you that they added your name to a prayer chain, or asked their Bible group to pray for you, how would you react? This is about the same thing.

QUOTE=Mrs Sally;10120427]Every Mass is offered with an intention - basically the Mass is prayed for someone and their needs. In addition, anyone at that Mass can offer the Mass (their own prayer) for an intention (or a few intentions).

It is similar to someone saying "I prayed for you today", but in a more formal way. Your friend requested that your name be formally included in the intentions for the Mass at their parish or perhaps a shrine.

If someone else had told you that they added your name to a prayer chain, or asked their Bible group to pray for you, how would you react? This is about the same thing.

Hi,

That's awesome, thank you for explaining, I am away form work for a few days so won't see her and I just wanted to know .It arrived on my birthday ( she knew it was my birthday) so I guess its her gift to me..I am deeply touched by the gesture.
Many Thanks
Heather

[quote="Heather777, post:1, topic:308037"]
Hi,

I received a card with this written on it

"Holy Mass was offered today for your intentions"

Just wondering what it actually means ( it was my from my co-worker with whom I have been discussing Catholicism)

Thanks
Heather

[/quote]

Just curios Heather…did you grow up Catholic…? just wondering how it is that you were unsure as to what a Mass being offered meant…I know we all grow up in different homes with varying degrees of practicing our Faith…but just kinda makes me wonder about where ‘we’ are with Catechesis …PAX

Please note the OP's entry under "Religion" :)

[quote="awsiukiewicz, post:5, topic:308037"]
Just curios Heather...did you grow up Catholic....? just wondering how it is that you were unsure as to what a Mass being offered meant..I know we all grow up in different homes with varying degrees of practicing our Faith..but just kinda makes me wonder about where 'we' are with Catechesis ....PAX

[/quote]

Hi there,

I am not a Catholic,though I did became a Christian just over twelve years ago ( church of Scotland) Since the arrival of my new co-worker who is a devout Catholic .I have become very interested in learning more about the Catholic Faith.
I did realise that having a Mass said for me was very special, I just wanted to know a bit more about what it meant..

Heather

[quote="Heather777, post:7, topic:308037"]
Hi there,

I am not a Catholic,though I did became a Christian just over twelve years ago ( church of Scotland) Since the arrival of my new co-worker who is a devout Catholic .I have become very interested in learning more about the Catholic Faith.
I did realise that having a Mass said for me was very special, I just wanted to know a bit more about what it meant..

Heather

[/quote]

Hi Heather. It is very special. And very special too for your friend to offer a mass intention for you. :):signofcross:

God bless.

Heather, may God Bless you…sounds like you have a terrific friend…and yes it is a marvelous gift to have a Holy Mass offered for you…May God comfort you and guide you along your spiritual journey…and if it is meant to be …home …Rome…PAX

[quote="awsiukiewicz, post:9, topic:308037"]
Heather, may God Bless you...sounds like you have a terrific friend..and yes it is a marvelous gift to have a Holy Mass offered for you....May God comfort you and guide you along your spiritual journey..and if it is meant to be ...home ...Rome....PAX

[/quote]

Thank you.. I feel certain that,despite the difficulties, I will leave Protestantism behind and become a Catholic in the not so distant future.

[quote="awsiukiewicz, post:5, topic:308037"]
Just curios Heather...did you grow up Catholic....? just wondering how it is that you were unsure as to what a Mass being offered meant..I know we all grow up in different homes with varying degrees of practicing our Faith..but just kinda makes me wonder about where 'we' are with Catechesis ....PAX

[/quote]

I'm 27 and this wasn't something I had heard of until very recent. Now I'm all about having Masses offered for people. Having a Mass offered for someone in the highest form of "praying for them" that there is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.