Mass On the Radio

Quick Question…

Though I know it doesnt suppliment for partaking in the Eucharist, but I listen to daily mass online through EWTN. Does this count as going to Mass?

Thanks Guys

[quote=jjoshjl]Quick Question…

Though I know it doesnt suppliment for partaking in the Eucharist, but I listen to daily mass online through EWTN. Does this count as going to Mass?

Thanks Guys
[/quote]

No because you are not physically there. However you can unite yourself Spiritually with the offering.

Hearing the Mass on the radio (or watching on television) does not satisfy your requirement to attend Mass on days of obligation (Sundays and other designated days). If you are prevented from attending Mass on those days, it is good (but not required) to participate in this manner. If it is not a day of obligation, you have no requirement to either attend physically or hear/watch the Mass, so any effort you make in this regard is “extra” - and “extra” is a very good thing!

I am a helicopter pilot working in the gulf of Mexico, my schedule is, work for seven days then I’m off for seven days. The seven days of work of course includes Sunday, since I am often in the middle of the gulf on Sunday, or at a remote shore base with no Church or transportation available, I often use the EWTN Mass. No it doesn’t “substitute” for Mass, but then again God knows my heart and intention. In the Catholic faith we know that there are Sacraments in which the grace can be obtained by desire, to include baptism by desire, confession or reconciliation by desire, these are not replacements and not intended, even to supplement, our Sacraments, but, if you are in a situation in which you can not physically attend (not just inconvenient) they are a benefit.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.