Mass Pre and Post Vatican II

Is there a site that goes into detailed differences of mass before and after Vatican II? I wasn’t born until 1985 so I’m interested in what mass used to be like

If you can find a church in your diocese which celebrates mass in the extraordinary form/whatever you want to call it, then you don’t have to read about it, you can experience it.

You’re a year older than me, but I now go to the pre-Vatican II Mass every Sunday. It’s still around. In fact, my wife and I were married at one of these Masses a couple of years ago. Thankfully for us, the Church started letting them happen again in 1988, and then let even more come back starting in 2007.

If you click here, you can see a video of a “pre-Vatican II” Mass that was held in the big national basicilia in Washington, DC in 2010. It might give you a better idea.

If you click here, you’ll find a directory that shows you where the nearest one is to you. All of these are held with the explicit approval of the local bishop.

God bless.

For a side-by-side comparison of the texts of the Pre-Vatican II Mass with today’s Mass, click here.

Then if you watch the video, you’ll see how the actions are different, too.

Try these links:

web2.airmail.net/carlsch/EFMass/churches13.htm#oklahoma

latinmassschedule.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38:oklahoma&catid=54:tridentine-mass-schedule-by-state&Itemid=2

Maybe you can find an Extraordinary Form Mass nearby.

Instead of just reading about it, you can actually experience it.

I don’t know how reliable those sites are. I just found them by doing a quick search.

I second what the above posters have already said, especially about finding a parish that celebrates according to the old, pre-Vat 2, books. I’m only 5 yrs older than you and last year I started attending the EF and fell in love with it. I would recommend making a commitment to attend for 4 or even 6 straight weeks, it can take a little getting used to (like a dry wine) [edited].

*That isn’t intended to be a knock against the OF, I’ve seen the OF done really well, I’m only trying to draw an analogy to describe the reward of doing some work to acquire a taste for something that might not be immediately rewarding, but that will pay off for the rest of your life. For the record, I attend both forms of the Mass regularly.

Thanks a bunch!

Right after Vatican II, there were immediate changes, such as the dropping of the Psalm 42 and Last Gospel. Also the new Communion formula, Corpus Christi to which we were to respond “Amen.” Churchgoers also heard new hymns being sung before and after Mass. Eventually the language would change to vernacular, communion lines replaced the communion rails, and priest would say Mass ad populum. In 1969, the entire Mass texts were replaced.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.