Mass Template Book

Hi, this should be an easy question. I have forgotten the name of the book written in the first or second century that is a “template” for the Catholic Mass. I think the name starts with Dia… I have tried searching, but haven’t come up with a post talking about it…

Thanks

The only thing that comes to mind is the Didache. Check Chapters 9 and 14.

It’s not really a book though and it’s a very, very rough “template” if you want to call it that, but it sounds like what you’re asking about.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Diatessaron? If so, that’s really a “Gospel harmony” more than anything else.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

There was also the Apologia written by St. Justin Martyr in the middle of the 2nd century in which, in a few chapters, he describes what today we would call the “order of Mass”: readings from the “memoirs” of the Apostles and Prophets, words about/of Christ, an admonition to apply what was read in the Scripture to our lives, communal prayer, bread and wine brought forward, a prayer to consecrate them, then the distribution of Holy Communion.

Thanks, I’ll check that out. For some reason I thought the Didache had more info pertaining to the mass.

Oh, and congrats on 4,000 posts :slight_smile:

Even though your original question was already answered, try also Acts of Hippolytus (3d century)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.