Mass times

Is mass on Good Friday always at 3 p.m in every church- all of the churches around me didn’t change their voice recordings so I don’ know what time mass is at. Thanks.

there should be a Mass at 3 o’clock.

NO, every Church does not have Good Friday Service (there is no Mass) at 3 pm. Neither my former parish nor my current parish has it’s Good Friday Service at 3 p.m.

It may very well be at 3 in your parish, but I suggest you look in last week’s bulletin, drive over and ask, but don’t just assume it is at 3 p.m.

ditto, our parish has Stations of the Cross at 3p.m. but the
Passion/Communion is at 7p.m.

**Correct me if I’m wrong but there is no Mass on Good Friday. **
It’s the only day of the year that this occurs.

Correct.

There is no Mass celebrated on Good Friday or Holy Saturday. There are Good Friday Devotions/ Liturgy which should start around 2:30 and conclude near 3:30-4:00PM. After 4PM we are liturgically into Holy Saturday.

Again, you are making assumptions regarding the times. This is not the case in every parish. My parish has it’s Good Friday liturgy at 1 pm.

sorry, I had gotten home at 3 last night from the cayman Islands, I’m tired and bound to make mistakes.

We know what you meant.

Maybe you can call a friend at your parish who will know what time the Liturgy will be held?

Also, it’s not a Holy Day of Obligation.

Tre Ore services begin at noon and last until 3 PM.

Matthew

Of course I make assumptions that parishes will follow the norms and traditions. However, I know full well that many parishes ignore the norms and traditions and prefer to take a more do-it-yourself approach to liturgies, RCIA Rites, Midnight Mass at 9PM, Etc. I’m stating what should be NORMAL, the reading of the Passion SHOULD normally take place around 3 PM, the hour Christ died on the cross.

OR, there is no “ignoring” of norms and traditions but rather the situation that we find ourselves in-- sharing a priest with two other parishes. He cannot be in 3 places at once.

I think it is insulting to presume that variation in the time of the Liturgy is that someone “prefers” a “do-it-yourself” approach to the Liturgy.

For certain situations in priests going to many parishes, but in the area that I live in we have a number of retired priests that help out. Many of they parishes are having Stations of the Cross through out the day, cross veneration at 12:30 and 7:30.

I too think we are getting away from the 3:00 hour. My kids, who go to Catholic school, told me that their teacher said that Jesus died at 6:00 PM…I could not believe it. She assumed that the “Six Hour” in the Bible means 6PM…ugh!!! I did correct my children

If there is one priest for three parishes then the other two parishes could have had a lay or deacon lead liturgy. I do not believe that the Good Friday Devotions/liturgy requires a priest.

** The celebration of the Lord’s Passion is to take place in the afternoon, at about three o’clock. The time will be chosen as shall seem most appropriate for pastoral reasons in order to allow the people to assemble more easily, for example, shortly after midday, or in the late evening, however not later than nine o’clock. (CLE 63)

**James

We do not have a deacon.

As has been pointed out, our priest followed the norms set out by the Congregation of Divine Worship.

I am tired of people *assuming *that there is some kind of abuse going on, or that priests just willy-nilly make changes that are not allowed.

Our priest is very faithful and orthodox. He works hard to provide nice liturgies for three parishes and I would just like to see these hard working priests given the respect they deserve-- and the benefit of the doubt.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.