Mass twice tomorrow

Hey guys and gals,
So tomorrow I am the Lector at Mass in the morning, but as a seminarian I have a Mass and dinner tomorrow with the other seminarians, so what should I do about Communion? Take twice? I’ve never had this problem before, so I’ve never thought about it!

Yes, twice is OK, but the second time has to be at Mass.

-Tim-

From the Code of Canon Law:

Can. 917 A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.

Yes, you can receive Communion at both Masses.

That’s been approved many years ago, (over 25 I think), as long as the second is a full Mass. First time can be a Communion Service but not the second one. I am surprised you are in the Seminary and didn’t already learn that. Learn something new ever day!, God Bless, Memaw

Not that thee is anything wrong with asking CAF, but there was no one at the seminary who could give you the answer? :shrug:

You have to hear this one for the first time some time. :wink:

I went through 12 years of Catholic school, was heavily involved in a vibrant campus ministry program, and took several theology courses before I ever heard of it. It was just a question I never even thought to ask.

Our Priests explained it to us when it first became possible and even encouraged us to attend an extra Mass when possible. God Bless, Memaw

I am more surprised that you are in seminary and yet have never been to Mass twice in one day before.

FWIW, you are only obligated to receive Communion once a year, so you certainly aren’t required to receive twice in one day if you don’t want to.

I start seminary in august.

I don’t go to Mass or receive Communion because I’m obliged to, but because it’s an awesome privilege to do so. And to pray for all our needs. God Bless, Memaw

I’m glad to hear it. But my comment was directed at the OP.

I thought this was open to all comments and suggestions. God Bless, Memaw

i can’t imagine receiving once per year…i receive multiple times per week!

Congrats! :thumbsup:

You people answered the question, why did you find it necessary to make him feel bad for not already knowing/participating in this?

I don’t think anyone was trying to make him feel bad, just surprised he was in the Seminary and never heard of it before. Didn’t know till later he won’t go to seminary till August… God Bless. Memaw

Indeed. It was very confusing of the OP to refer to himself as a seminarian, like someone engaged referring to themselves as married ,really.

Not to engage in further analyzing of the OP (:o), but being a seminarian is about more than simply attending classes at seminary. If he has applied and been accepted through his diocesan office of vocations, he would be considered a seminarian from the moment of acceptance, not from the moment his first class begins.

My apologies to the OP for your being subject to any undue scrutiny. I hope you do not take it personally. Think of it as practice for when you are ordained and your parishioners try to analyze everything you do. :stuck_out_tongue: :o

Since most of us are probably not that familiar with being a ‘seminarian,’ we would naturally assume he was in the seminary already. I wouldn’t call that undue scrutiny, just an honest mistake. God Bless, Memaw

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.