Mass without communion today!?!?!?!?!

Hi everyone,

As I’m sure everyone here knows, today is a day of Holy Obligation - the Assumption.

I want to go at 12:15, but not sure if it will take longer than normal because the Bishop is presiding, which is neat, but I only have an hour for lunch.

What if I go - but dont take communion - does that make it null and void?

I woudl think not, because if you are in mortal sin (which I dont think I’m in) and you dont take communion, you still have to go to the Mass, does that makes sense?

Vester

No it does not make it null and void. When you go please say a prayer for me, I’m a pilot and will be flying during Mass, no chance to go, although I plan to watch Mass on EWTN, still not valid, best I can do.

Are you a military pilot or with a big company? If so, isn’t there a chaplain who can fly with you?

Your Mass is still valid if you don’t receive Communion. I’m fixing to leave and go to Our Lady of the Angels Monastery (EWTN) and go to their noon Mass, which is only about five miles from where I work. I gotta leave soon to make sure I get a seat in the chapel. Otherwise, I’ll end up in St. Michael’s hall on the side, which isn’t as nice. :slight_smile: God bless.

I don’t think we are allowed to skip the Liturgy of the Eucharist. If I were you, I would look for a time in the evening to go, or else just let the boss know that you are going to be a bit late getting back from lunch because of some personal business.

Every day of Holy Obligation (including Sunday) also has its very valid excuses as to not go.

If you are so sick you cant go, then you cant go.

If you are obligated by the military to fly a plane during that time period, then that is what you have to do, and God knows it.

If it makes you feel better, go to Confession?

Thanks everyone - I’m getting ready to head out! :slight_smile:

Vester

Hey Vester…if you get this, I have a small recommendation. Sit up front, so you can be one of the first to receive Communion if time permits…then leave early.

God bless,
Robert

Hi all, I’m back, and I took Communion and stayed a bit longer than I should have hehe (I really just cant take communion and then leave - thats sort of the opposite of what God is all about - take what you want and go attitude haha!)

I left before the final blessing but knelt and said my prayers after communion, so I hope that it counts.

Unfortunately there was a horrible singer behind me who thought he was GREAT and was really disrupting to everyone around me hahahaha :eek:

Vester

I saw this post at about 11:55, and realized that since my student had not shown up I could actually go to church today (it started at 12:05). We were a couple minutes late but we made it. Thanks!

As you’ll note from my sig, I’m Episcopalian, and we don’t have Holy Days of Obligation. But today is a “Major Feast” (equivalent to your “feast” as opposed to “solemnity”), and a good day to go to church.

Edwin

Actually, I’m a helicopter pilot working with a major oil company, we are at a remote site, no chaplain, no means of ground transport to a church, just EWTN. As I said, I know it doesn’t take the place of Mass, but it’s the best I can do.

Of course not. The obligation is to go to Mass, not to receive communion.

I’m not sure where the idea arose that we must receive communion at every Mass.
There is no such requirement.

We are obligated to attend Mass every Sunday and every Holy Day of Obligation. We are only obligated to receive Holy Communion once a year during the Easter season.

I’m sure God understands your predicament and in situations like yours, I’m not even sure that it’d be a mortal sin to miss mass.

OK, I realize that this thread is now over, but…
Implicit in the OP’s question is not merely whether Holy Communion needs to be recieved, but whether one is required to stay for the whole Mass. The problem with phrasing the question this way is that the reception of Communion does not “end” the Mass. Right? I don’t beleive that one has “technically” met the obligation if they leave before the celebrant declares"The Mass has ended…" or some such closing. Now, if they have a valid reason for not leaving - essentially similar to those circumstances which allow one to miss Mass - then they don’t have an obligation to remain through Communion.
In summary, one must always remain until the end of the Mass to meet their obligation (whether they recieve Communion or not) unless they have a valid reason for leaving early.

Not at all how I was taught. Mass on a Holy Day of Obligation is just like Mass every Sunday - if one arrives late or leaves early without good reason, one commits the venial (but still not negligible) sin of … well, arriving late or leaving early from Mass without good reason.

One doesn’t commit mortal sin by so doing, and one does still meet one’s obligation even if one arrives late or leaves early. As long as, at least, one arrives before the Gospel and stays through until Communion.

Well, you should go to communion today since a full plenary indulgence is available on this feast day for those who go to confession, receive the eucharist and pray for the pope’s intentions if one is a member of any of the rosary confraternities or a lay member of some of the other religious orders.

James

So it simultaneously is a venial sin and fulfills the obligation? I dont know the answer, BTW. I know that they make a big deal out of people leaving after Communion at my Parish.

I am pragmatic here. Just give the benefit of the doubt that its a venial sin. But one can be forgiven of this sin at the instant it’s committed by simply blessing oneself from the exit door holy water font as one walks out the door. :thumbsup:

If there is no intent to abuse the self blessing this is sufficient to be forgiven of all venial sins.

James

The fact that the OP only had an hour for lunch is irrelevant. Employers are required to make reasonable concessions for required religious observance. That means that your employer must give you the time off to attend mass on a holy day of obligation. You are just required to give your employer a bit of advanced notice.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.