Massachusetts diocese cancels appearance by Robert Spencer, writer on Islam

The Diocese of Worcester has canceled an appearance by Robert Spencer, the author of several books on Islam. Spencer had been invited to speak at a diocesan Catholic men’s conference.

catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=16953

I have read that the Boston Globe worked behind the scenes to have his speech cancelled.

How disappointing…:mad:

Because when Truth wants to speak, the World will be against it.

:shrug:

MJ

This is tragic. Spencer is a good, courageous man, and the diocese has disgraced itself by cowering before leftist thugs whose only aim is to intimidate opposition and silence debate. :mad: So typical of the new, intolerant haters in America.

Actually, Muslims are the ones that complained but sort of the same thing.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2018976/Norway-shooting-Anders-Behring-Breivik-inspired-Robert-Spencer-Unabomber.html#axzz2JhbOuN8M

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=750455

Whoever, to accede to their demands was shameful. I fear that even Rome is terrified of offending an Islam consumed with a need to silence all dissent.

Here is some of Robert Spencer’s bio from his Amazon page:

Spencer has led seminars on Islam and jihad for the United States Central Command, United States Army Command and General Staff College, the U.S. Army’s Asymmetric Warfare Group, the FBI, the Joint Terrorism Task Force, and the U.S. intelligence community.

Spencer has discussed jihad, Islam, and terrorism at a workshop sponsored by the U.S. State Department and the German Foreign Ministry. He has also appeared on the BBC, ABC News, CNN, FoxNews’s O’Reilly Factor, the Sean Hannity Show, the Glenn Beck Show, Fox and Friends, and many other Fox programs, PBS, MSNBC, CNBC, C-Span, France24 and Croatia National Televison (HTV), as well as on numerous radio programs including Bill O’Reilly’s Radio Factor, The Laura Ingraham Show, Bill Bennett’s Morning in America, Michael Savage’s Savage Nation, The Sean Hannity Show, The Alan Colmes Show, The G. Gordon Liddy Show, The Neal Boortz Show, The Michael Medved Show, The Michael Reagan Show, The Rusty Humphries Show, The Larry Elder Show, The Barbara Simpson Show, Vatican Radio, and many others. He has been a featured speaker at Dartmouth College, Stanford University, New York University, Brown University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the University of Virginia, the College of William and Mary, Washington University of St. Louis, the University of Wisconsin at Madison, the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, and many other colleges and universities.

Apparently, he’s good enough to appear as a guest on Vatican Radio, various governmental agencies and colleges but not good enough to appear at the Massachusetts diocese.

Opposition and silence indeed. Not just in America*!***
[/FONT]http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/featured/news/868018287001/more-than-just-a-mosque/2144992866001

Spencer’s major fault is that he isn’t careful enough to articulate the disturbing and alarmingly flawed teachings of Islam without using a broad paintbrush that implies that every muslim is a monster waiting to happen.

The vast majority of muslims are decent human beings precisely because they are uniquely created in God’s image and likeness. There are many aspects of Islam that are highly compatible with Western cultures and values as well as christian values. There are also a few characteristics of Islam that are diametrically opposed to christianity and Western values. Spencer does a good job of articulating what those things are, but a bad job of remembering that human persons are more than the sum of their stated beliefs (and reminding listeners of that). Spencer talks are often of a tone and flavor that suggest we just “run the bums out.” That’s his flaw. It’s understandable that he comes off that way because there ARE (IMO) irredeemable aspects to Muhammed’s teachings that can’t be reformed. It’s a brutal challenge to figure out how to respond to the presense of a minority religion that by its very essence contains flaws that will forever incline at least a few of its adherents to violence and oppression without committing those SAME acts against innocent people who are nominally muslim.

i have heard him speak before and i don’t feel that men like Spencer should be silenced.
i am disappointed that the diocese cancelled his appearance, but considering how liberal Massachusettes is, i guess i shouldn’t be shocked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.