Massachusetts law could forbid churches to preach on transgenderism

Boston, Mass., Oct 13, 2016 / 11:43 am (CNA/EWTN News).- Four churches and their pastors are challenging a Massachusetts law which they say could regulate their speech regarding gender identity.

“This case is about who controls Massachusetts churches,” said the churches’ legal motion to halt enforcement of the law. “Are pastors and churches still free to teach their religious beliefs and use their houses of worship to reflect and reinforce those beliefs?”

The four churches and their pastors filed the motion in U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, Eastern Division. They have also filed a lawsuit against Massachusetts officials.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/massachusetts-law-could-forbid-churches-to-preach-on-transgenderism-99326/

The law applies to places of public accommodation. However, guidance from state officials said a church could be included in that definition “if it holds a secular event, such as a spaghetti supper, that is open to the general public.”

I don’t know of a single church near me that does not have at least one not-100%-religious event open to the general public throughout the year. My parish has pancake breakfasts, chicken bbqs, craft fairs, cookie sales and more through out the year. It is frightening to think that politicians think doing these things lets them tell the church what it can or cannot teach.

For public events churches should lock up their own bathrooms and rent port-a-potties which are unmarked as to sex, gender or whatever.

I look for the law to be overturned, or interpreted in a way so as to exempt Church’s. This principle is pretty well enshrined in law. A few stupid, progressive law-makers may be challenging the boundary, but I bet they get slapped back.

“Religion will have to change.” – Hillary Clinton

From the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
“Article II. It is the right as well as the duty of all men in society, publicly and at stated seasons, to worship the Supreme Being, the great Creator and Preserver of the universe. And no subject shall be hurt, molested, or restrained, in his person, liberty, or estate, for worshipping God in the manner and season most agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience, or for his religious profession or sentiments, provided he doth not disturb the public peace or obstruct others in their religious worship.”

Similar laws are coming to a Country near you … as HRC and the Democratically controlled Congress will enlighten the American People and be backed up by the SCOTUS

huffingtonpost.ca/tom-kott/freedom-of-speech-canada_b_2324999.html

Yeah it would seem to run counter to the Massachusetts constitution to force churches into expressing a belief they don’t agree with inside their walls in what amount to not public events and spaces.

What is it with this fanatical zeitgeist obsession with transgenderism, transexuality, gender identity, LGBTQI, issues? It’s EVERYWHERE! In schools, on television, in magazines, all over Hollywood, on morning talk shows, rainbow tolerance and diversity flags on the front of The Whitehouse…

This goes much further than mere ‘acceptance’ of another person’s sexuality.

This has become a social fixation on genitalia. :eek:

Massachusetts law could forbid churches to preach on transgenderism

That is the allegation being made in the lawsuit. There haven’t actually been any cases where such a ruling has been made. The lawsuit seems to be a pre-emptive strike against a law which the ADF considers to be vague.

Couldn’t agree more.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.