Massacre of the Innocents

Did Herod send soldiers to Bethlehem to kill the male children two years old and under? I believe he did because it’s in the bible. (Now that I think about it, he probably didn’t send them until after the presentation…) And as today was the feast of the presentation of Jesus in the temple, and Simeon was led by the Spirit to make a proclamation about the child… I was wondering what he may have seen, or heard???

1. Would Mary and Joseph have told the priests in the temple that they were of the House of David?
  2. Would they have told that Jesus had been born in Bethlehem?
  3. Would there have been other first born baby boys that opened the mother’s womb 40 days old from Bethlehem there at that time? Probably so…

Ah, Childermas. My eldest daughter was born on that day, and I was born today, on Candlemas.

I couldn’t begin to think of your questions, but I am interested to read what replies you will receive. I do agree with you on number 3.

From wiki:

Upon bringing Jesus into the temple, they encountered Simeon. The Gospel records that Simeon had been promised that “he should not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ” (Luke 2:26). Simeon prayed the prayer that would become known as the Nunc Dimittis, or Canticle of Simeon, which prophesied the redemption of the world by Jesus:

Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace; according to Thy word: for mine eyes have seen Thy salvation, which Thou hast prepared before the face of all people: to be a light to lighten the gentiles and to be the glory of Thy people Israel (Luke 2:29-32).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentation_of_Jesus_at_the_Temple

Here is the wiki page for many versions of Nunc Dimittis

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunc_Dimittis

I had hoped that some of our Jewish friends would tell us what the presentation was like, or is like. Do they still do that? Is the mother the main participant or does the father take the lead part? Do they fill out papers like the priest does at our baptism?

Did Herod really kill the babies two years old and under? Any records? I know they were destroyed around 70 a.d.

Do the Jews still keep a record of which of the 12 tribes they are descended from?
Would this be part of the presentation?

Perhaps earlier - at the time of the circumcision.

Unfortunately all early records were destroyed in 70 AD (which would have included those of Our Lord).

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.