Master Bedroom Is Cancelled.- Whitening Is Taken Off L'Oreal Products

Two stories about changes to names. Did we not go through this awhile back when he/she became an issue and mother/father also became an issue in gay rights.?

The change in terminology, which happened quietly earlier this month, is already in place on HAR’s property listing database … and it came after several members demanded a review of the language, which some believe carries connotations to slavery.

Global Company Unilever.

L’Oreal said in a statement Saturday that it "has decided to remove the words white/whitening, fair/fairness, light/lightening from all its skin evening products.

1 Like

I suppose teeth “whitening” products will be next. I guess they can call them,

“Stain removal paste that will change the effects of certain foods you’ve eaten that may have changed your teeth to a different shade rather than the one you were born with”.

Yep, that should fit nicely on a tube of toothpaste. :smirk:… Oy vey

9 Likes

These people are all such losers. Wow.

13 Likes

I’ve always hated the terms “master” and “slave” when applied to computer devices. Glad to see there is a shift to terms “primary” and “secondary” being used instead.

I doubt it. There is a bit of history of there being grievances from cosmetic companies using terms equating lighter skin with beauty. AFAIK there is no such history with teeth.

2 Likes

OH MY LORDY LORD, “I"M DREAMING OF A WHITE CHRISTMAS”, now that smacks of racism, it’s got to go :scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

10 Likes

Give it a few days…

3 Likes

Everything will just need to be plain without any descriptive names:

toothpaste
soap
laundry detergent
toilet paper
and on and on. It will never stop because every single name description will be picked over and judged. So sad that it has come to this.

4 Likes

The word master is in many words, master cylinder, master lock, masterpiece, postmaster.

6 Likes

Let’s be honest. No one is clamoring for blacker teeth.

3 Likes

L’Oréal is a French company that’s sells world wide.

The whitening skin products were not for US markets, but for Caribbean and Asian markets.

Teeth are white usually for all races and ethnicities.

Not skin.

Skin comes in various shades. Not only white.

2 Likes

This is the kind of thing that happens to a persons mind (a darkened intellect)
when their consciences get squeezed due to sin,
yet deep down inside like every man, they want to fight “evils”.

It is a pathetic thing to watch.

I have quoted this before but it is worth quoting again . . . .

Chesterton . . . .

Of all the marks of modernity that seem to mean a kind of decadence,
there is none more menacing and dangerous than
the exultation of very small and secondary matters of conduct
at the expense of very great and primary ones,
at the expense of eternal ties and tragic human morality.
If there is one thing worse than the modern weakening of major morals,
it is the modern strengthening of minor morals.

Thus it is considered more withering to accuse a man of bad taste than of bad ethics.-- G. K. Chesterton

Emphasis mine.

7 Likes

Unrelated, but there was once a Japanese custom of rubbing charcoal on the teeth. That currently has no bearing on the politics of skin whitening products, however.

I’ve seen charcoal based toothpaste in the drugstore.

So from now on, if a Caucasian woman wants to lighten her skin on the darkened age spots on her hands, how is she to know which product to buy??? How about if you don’t want your skin lighter, DON’T BUY THE STUFF THAT SAYS LIGHTENER!!!
I’ll put my :mask: on now so I don’t get suspended.

I cant wait to hear what they come up with when the realize “mister” is derived from “master” Mr Rogers, watch out, they may come for you.

Age spot remover, dark spot corrector.

Read the labels? Ask the clerk at the store?

Go online to research.

It’s not that big of a deal.

Names for things change.

1 Like

Probably nothing. Cognates can carry different conotations.

1 Like

All I see is efforts to replace labels/brands that may display subtley harmful messages or forms of insensitivity with better ones. Why is it igniting this Chicken Little panic? Skin lightening is a big problem among dark-skinned women all over the world partly because of messages pushed by these beauty companies. It’s the same way they cause anorexia and other eating disorders among teens. There was an effort to change that in some European countries too, you know. They made it illegal to have models who were smaller than a certain size in an effort to try contain the bombardment of these subtle messages to young women. The same thing happens for dark-skinned women in the West, Africa, India, and elsewhere. I really don’t understand all these reactions to companies changing their brand to remove possibly insensitive branding.

2 Likes

Taking information off labels. What good is reading labels if the company takes what the product is for off the labels ???

People need to remember that a company sells what people want to buy or they don’t make money. The USA has been majority White, so advertising and products will reflect that. There has been a void, and someone wanting to make money should have been filling the Black, Hispanic, Asian voids years and years ago. If I lived in a black majority country, I would expect the products and advertising there to sell products for Black People. Is that racist of them? I would be the minority and would expect commercials on TV and radio there would be for products that enhanced black skin or hair. Instead, you are now telling me that I should be offended by that?

Black Americans need to be addressing why they want to lighten their skin to think that makes them look better.

1 Like

So tanning products are also going to be renamed?

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.