Master Bedroom Is Cancelled.- Whitening Is Taken Off L'Oreal Products

Verify that.

“The exact origins of colorism in the Indian subcontinent are unknown. However, it can be attributed to many different reasons. In the pre-colonial era, the wealthy did not have to toil outside like the peasants and workers, and therefore often had lighter complexions. This led lighter skin to be equated with higher social castes and classes. After Europeans started colonizing the Indian subcontinent, they started enforcing the idea of themselves being the master race. This further led many South Asians to consider lighter skin and European-like features more desirable.”

1 Like

Whiter skin implied higher social status going back centuries. The darker your skin was, the more likely you were to be working out in the hot sun, making your skin bronze.

Well my dad’s family is east asian, so like I said, I’m not familiar with the culture outside of China/Korea/Japan. But the simple fact is, there is a history of peferring whiter skin that predates European contact.

2 Likes

What about it?

It’s a classic perfume.

Nothing about it! That’s the point!

You think they’ll stop selling ‘Irish Spring’ soap? That is., if they still do?

As to beauty standards of the majority, I can remember “Seventeen” magazine in the sixties when it had pictures of the optimum shape for women’s buttocks! And, no, the shape did not look like any African American. Cultural beauty standards of the majority have a long history in the US.

I was speaking to a person working in a resort in a nation that was not exactly wealthy. He told me that the resort gave preference to hiring people that had lighter skin. That gave the people an incentive to try to lighten their skin just to get the opportunity of getting a foot in the door.

It’s not that they intrinsically desired lighter skin, it’s that there was an external incentive for having it.

1 Like

Rube. . .

All I see is efforts to replace labels/brands that may display subtley harmful messages or forms of insensitivity with better ones.

That is certainly “the line” being served up to you and I.

And if you really think that please link me to all your posts about all these new “offences” that have just began cropping up in the last few months. At least “began” on a larger scale.

Because if these things are so “subtlety harmful” and “insensitive”, surely you’ve written about these terrible things in years past. Right?

So please link me to several of your posts from the distant past where you have been decrying all these “subtlety harmful” and “insensitive” items.

As for me?

I think it is ridiculous.

It is political correctness ran amok in most cases (admittedly not all) meant to divide Americans.

But thank goodness people like Hollywood, the media, and BIG tech are finally retraining us all right?

Here is Patrick Coffin recognizing these saving influences too . . . .

Thank you, Hollywood!

Jun 20, 2020

Seriously. If you think removing the word “master” from a title like “Master Bedroom” is going to help society, you can certainly think that.

But I am going to disagree.

I think these ridiculous things are an abortion culture that strives to be “moral” but wants to keep murdering innocent babies, yet see themselves as “battling” for “good”.

Actually non-sense like this is just what I would anticipate in our society right now.

Also political satirist Mark Dice . . .

I’m Sorry.

Published on Jun 29, 2020

6 Likes

These things have been a huge discussion among black people for YEARS. We have documentaries and youtube channels where black people talk about them: Please search "colorism" and you’ll find all you’re looking for. Just because it never made it into your circles doesn’t make it a non-issue or a “new issue” for others.

And why on earth would you expect me to discuss them on CAF “if it was an issue”? Please explain that reasoning for me. Before Ahmaud Arbery, I don’t think I ever discussed police brutality here. I hope no one is under the impression that it did not matter to me before two months ago. I find that demand/claim (“show me where you posted it on this particular forum or it was a non-issue”) . . . pretty arrogant.

Rubee intermingling things such as Master Bedroom cancelled for the name “Master” in it with the “police brutality”.

I don’t think I ever discussed police brutality here.

If you can’t see the foundational difference (the ridiculousness of cancelling a show because it has the word “Master” in it, versus the concept of police brutality) in such things Rubee, then you go ahead and think whatever you want about such things.

1 Like

Look, maybe you and I are not communicating well. The stuff that’s been discussed among blacks for long is the colorism issue with skin-lighteners, some of which are VERY dangerous and prevalent in places like India and Nigeria and even some Western countries. It tends to be a “Black” discussion because it’s the darker-skinned women who are affected and not the naturally lighter-skinned Black women. So, for someone like me, when I see L’OREAL drop “whitening” and things like that, I understand it in that context. It’s that context I was trying to explain to you. I have no idea about this Master stuff. I have no connection to tech besides using my phone and laptop.

Rubee . . .

The stuff that’s been discussed among blacks . .

It is irrelevant.

Cancelling “Master Bedroom” because of the word “master” dilutes real racial issues.

This kind of thing is counter-productive.

Don’t fall for this shenanigans Rubee.

1 Like

I’m talking about L’OREAL. It’s not irrelevant to people who experience colorism from a young age. Granted, it’ll take more than a simple name change but the hope is there’ll be a shift in the culture away from these negative pressures dark-skinned women face.

You are prejudging all black people who want their skin lightened as being victims of “colorism” thought.

I think Blacks can make such decisions for themselves and come up with their own reasons why or why not they may or may not use a skin lightener.

Just like white people who choose to tan or use other skin coloring techniques.

That is their business. They are quite capable of making their own decisions.

Have you criticized white people (or assigned them as helpless victims) for colonizing their skin. Or just black people?

Why not just treat black people and white people the same?

Why define these people by the color of their skin?

I and others see this attitude of the white man needing to make decisions for blacks for them, as just another form of racism, of which they act like they are against.

2nd CORINTHIANS 11:14 14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

I am not accusing you of racism by the way.

I AM saying these IDEAS are being peddled right now are racist.
And that we should not fall for them.

The ideas in and of themselves are racism, disguised as helping stop racism.

1 Like

No, I am not. You are handwaving away an issue you don’t know about because it hasn’t buzzed your radar enough to involve yourself.

You are doing a lot of “prejudging,” yourself, quite unironically, even as you accuse me of that, without first getting education on an issue that does not affect people in your community. Why not some humility here? Maybe you don’t know everything about this issue seeing as it doesn’t touch your community? Look, I am a Black woman. I have always lived in a Black community and I know colorism is not some “made up” thing. I have had these discussions with Black people from all over and I know it’s a pretty global thing too.

People being able to “make up their own decisions” is a strawman. Who is stopping them? Now that is irrelevant.

But to apply the principle you’ve raised, just what is bugging you about L’OREAL’s decision? They can make up their minds too. They don’t need you freaking out about it on their behalf.

Rubee . . .

You are handwaving away an issue you don’t know about because it hasn’t buzzed your radar enough to involve yourself.

Bold mine.

Your false presupposition assumes these are real “issues”.

They are not.

Divisive people are forcing these as issues.

People then run with these terrible ideas.

Rubee personally attacking me now . . .

They don’t need you losing your mind on the internet on their behalf.

I am going to just attempt to ignore this portion of your “argument” Rubee.

You’re the one who assumes you know what the issues are among Black people

I refuse to be brow beaten because of what the color of my skin may or may not be.

Again. These are the kinds of ideas that CONTRIBUTE to racism. Not solve it.

2 Likes

You’re the one who assumes you know what the issues are among Black people and telling that to a Black woman when clearly you haven’t even bothered to learn about it. That you don’t give two cents about it doesn’t make it a non-issue. Those of us who KNOW and don’t have to guess that these are real issues for us while they are nothing-burgers to you do appreciate L’OREAL’s decision and hope more follow.

Its pretty straightforward. Your argue this is a non-issue because Black people can mske up their minds but forget the people at these busunesses can do the same. So really your complaints here are about non-issues according to this reasoning. No one here lacks freedom so what is your problem?

Rubee . . .

Those of us who KNOW and don’t have to guess that these are real issues for us . . .

The “us” vrs. “them” on display again.

Go ahead and let it be an issue for you Rubee.

If you think this is a moment of conscience for L’OREAL go ahead and think that if you want too.

I don’t think there is anything to have a moment of conscience over.

I think it is mere business peer pressure from the purveyors of these divisive ideas.

Why not tell me about L’OREAL’s moment of conscience helping save pre-born black people from being victims if premeditated murder?

After all, if we want to help blacks and all of that stuff, why not begin by opposing the premeditated murder of blacks?

No one here lacks freedom so what is your problem?

I disagree. I think coersion in policy change is not freedom.

If you want to think it is, I am fine with you thinking whatever you want.

2 Likes

What I don’t understand, you clearly understand that theres more pressures than simple “free to make up their minds” considerations allow but apply it to business people and not Black people even though one is here telling you this is a big issue in her community. And you are choosing to rubbish it just because you dont relate. You are the one creating this divide here between us with your unequally applied principles about “freedom to choose,” don’t u see. Its not just about that and you clearly understand this which is why you’re upset about these companies’ decisions. You just dont seem to care equally about the other side of the issue; hence the “divide.”

Rubee about me . . . .

You just dont seem to care about the other side of the issue; hence the “divide.”

Again Rubee. Your presupposition is that skin products are in issue (yet so far you have ignored the abortion issue).

Obviously not all black people feel the same way you do about skin tone agents (otherwise they would not purchase them).

Which abortion issue have I ignored???

Obviously these business people feel differently from you, otherwise they would do what you want. So, again, the problem?

Rubee . . .

Which abortion issue have I ignored???

If you have to ask, a pep-talk from me isn’t going to help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.