Masterbating

I would like for to ask that you all would pray that I have the strength to break this habit. Also is there anyone out there who has the same problem or someone who has over come it?

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me.

Amen!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

I read in another thread that there is an online support group for those seeking freedom from sexual sins. You might want to peruse the group list.

I have overcome it:D

Actually since I break that habit, I have become closer, understand and learn a lot of things that I am unable to understand before it.

For me, I read more bible, listen to more Christian songs and try to understand its meaning. Because sometimes we just sing without realizing its meaning. Sometimes, the songs also teach us something.

I will pray for you and you can always ask me if you have anything to ask. Just message me to my inbox

God bless you:thumbsup:

I continue to struggle in this area.

I found that each day asking the Lord to grant me the special Gift of Repentance was a great help in this and other areas of habitual sin or attachment to sin.

for context: I’m over 35 and Married.
I believe almost all men struggle in this area at some point in their lives. for me progress is slow.

Go to confession regularly, and remember that you are Human and Weak. In the case of a strongly ingrained habit, you are very likely to continue to struggle and fail. Remember to pick your self up. Recognize that you are a sinner, who is only saved by Gods freely given Grace, make an act of Contrition, resolve to keep up the fight, and ten carry on with your day.

My confessors over the years have often advised me that so long as I am truly trying to resist that I should not let this sin keep me from the Eucharist.
(this is very different from giving up the fight and letting the sin rule me - that is the opposite of being in a State of Grace).

Try to get to confession regularly. Once a month is traditional, but every week may be better if you can get to a regularly scheduled confession time at your local parish or a nearby one.
Making your confession to the same priest each time can also help. He can get to know your struggles and be able to give more personalized advice.

I just said a prayer for you. May Mary help you.

I know I have struggled with this; it has been a tough fight, but with God’s grace and Our Lady’s intercession I am finally free of it. Though I still struggle with impure thoughts, God has helped me break a habit I never thought I would! It can be done, so hang in there and keep going!

One thing I found that helped me was the Three Hail Mary devotion. It was miraculous, actually; I started praying, and within a few days I had drastically improved. Just say three Hail Marys when you wake up and before you go to sleep. Ask Our Lady to pray for you and protect you from sexual sin, ask Our Lord for His strength, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you. Saying this every morning and night not only blessed me with abundant grace, but reminded me that God was there with me in my struggles. That is a great comfort.

The devil will try to tempt you; he will try to tell you that you can’t win, or that there is nothing wrong with this sin of impurity. He will get at you in any way he can. Pray to your guardian angel and St. Michael. Always have holy water! Remember, the devil is the ultimate loser, and he won’t win against God. God is on your side and you can fight off temptation!

Also try to say a rosary every day, and pray the Liturgy of the Hours if you have time. Both have given me great peace and helped me avoid sin. (The rosary actually cured my panic attacks!)

I’m sorry I wrote a novel! I will be praying for you! I hope what I wrote helped! God bless you and grant you grace and peace to overcome this sin and follow Him more closely!

Your attraction towards the opposite sex will never fade. But masturbation can. It takes much prayer and devotion to the Lord. Pray, pray, pray. You will be tempted, but the Lord wants you to overcome those temptations and not to give in. Pray, pray, pray! And pray some more.

Praying.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.