Masterbation

Bit of a story to go along with this question. As a 14 year old boy I am living in an area where the church is seeing a decline in young people and more people are turning against the Catholic faith. I however began serving 3 years ago and have loved everything to do with my faith ever since. I go to mass 4 times a week, exposition, the rosary, Eucharistic services etc. the only problem is that I had just discovered Masterbation at a time when I did not really know what it was. This act soon became an addiction and I have been struggling to overcome it. I have been going to my Parish Priest week in and week out saying the same sin over and over again in the certain hope that Jesus Christ us putting me to the test and that I will a stronger in spirit and in body.

This sin has always troubled me as it hangs over the realm of Mortal Sin and so to the question. If I masterbate and at the last moment even though it is just to late I say ‘no’ to Satan and do not consent to that sin, have I committed Mortal Sin?

God Bless and please pray for me!

Praying for your healing and the elimination of your addiction.
As to your question: The time to say “no” to Satan is just before you are about to masturbate. If you give in to the temptation and begin masturbating, that is when the Mortal Sin is committed.

Remember oh most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known,
that anyone who fled to thy protection,
implored thy help, or sought thy intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee,
oh Virgin of virgins my Mother.
To thee I cry, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful.
Oh Mother of the Word incarnate, despise not my petitions,
but in thy mercy, hear and answer them. Amen.

It being a mortal sin may be somewhat mitigated by your age; but just to be safe, whenever you do it, I would always consider it a mortal sin. It’s definitely better to be safe than sorry as far as mortal sin is concerned.

As for your addiction, you are not the only one who deals with it. I’m impressed that you’re so young and yes still recognize it as it and want to try to change. I will be turning 26 shortly, and I have been addicted to that particular act since I was 12. The longer your do it, the harder it is to overcome the addiction, so be glad you’re starting early.

As for saying the same thing over and over again in confession, don’t worry, you are not the only one in there who does that. I got to confession almost every week. I went Saturday, and I’m going again tonight. (Some days are worse than others, sadly). No matter how embarrassing it is, no matter how much shame you feel, always remember that the most important thing is the state of your soul; embarrassment pales in comparison to the fear of an eternity without God.

You will grow stronger in your faith as a result of this trouble. As you fight to overcome it you will open yourself up to God more and more; which is always good. Pray every night for help to live out God’s will as oppose to your own desires; and start praying the rosary every day (or, start with every other day, or once a week and work your way up). There has been no better aide for me in my struggle than the Holy Mother’s prayers on my behalf.

Do not worry or be embarrassed. It is a very common sin, a bad one, but a common one; and you are in good company here with people who have gone through and are going through exactly what you’re going through now; and all of us will be happy to offer guidance and assistance whenever you need it.

Yes it would be. You have placed yourself in an occasion of sin, consented to beginning and acting out that sin with full knowledge. Though you might be tempted by any number of things (the world, the flesh, or the devil), that does not mean that Satan is controlling you.

You, by your full will and knowledge, consented to the act. Lets say you decide to kill someone by running them over with your car. But, just before impact, you say “no, I don’t want to do this”. Then BAM, you hit them and they die. Aren’t you still responsible? In court, will you say ‘well yeah, I wanted to do and I did everything to set it up just right to get that person killed, but just before I hit them I decided that I didn’t want to do it, so I’m not guilty.’? The judge would laugh and still sentence you.

The moment of ejaculation is not the sin. The sin is the fact that you are taking the act of sex out of its proper context as designed by God to be a loving act of self giving, and turning it into an act to selfishly satisfy your fleshly desires. On top of that, you are more than likely lusting for some person as well.

So, like the car example, the moment of impact (ejaculation) is not just the sin, but it is the entire act of premeditated murder (in this case, masturbation and lust.)

Hope this is clear. God bless, you’ll be in my prayers to overcome this horrible and difficult addiction.

Try this if all else fails - place a rubber band around your wrist, when you feel the urge you take your hand and grab the rubber band and snap it really hard!

Also, look into hobbies that you can do that will keep your mind occupied and your hands busy. This shouldn’t be too hard to do and it has NO AGE LIMIT, ANYONE CAN DO IT!

‘An idle mind is the Devils workshop’!

Remember, God helps those who want to help themselves!

Much Peace!

Mike :slight_smile:

Dear both,

I am wretched soul, and this is an addiction which I have been fighting since I hit puberty and I have not yet overcome it and I am almost 30 years of age. By the grace of God, one day, I shall no longer be a slave to this sin but be freed from it. But I wait, hope and pray. I can at times go for weeks without it, but I let my bodily sensations give in to temptation; it is a cross I must bear. I’ll pray for you both in your struggles.

-T

As I do you. Hopefully, eventually, we will be freed from the overwhelming desire and drive that accompanies this sin. If not, I only pray that my struggle against the sin will be taken into account on my deathbed, and that God’s mercy forgive me if I haven’t made it to confession since my last breakdown.

This is a question to put to your regular confessor.

It is certain that to masturbate is grave matter, but it is not certain that any particular occasion definitely constitutes personal mortal sin. Your confessor can advise you how to determine this, and help you devise ways to avoid this sin.

For anyone who struggles with this sin, when it becomes an addiction, it is a great shame if they needlessly avoid the most blessed sacrament and the true graces it provides. So please ask this question directly of your confessor, who can guide you appropriately.

It’s not mentioned in the bible.

I agree with the above.

To the original poster: Hopefully a priest can give you some sensitive counseling regarding this.

You might also want to consult the Youcat.

Not relevant.

From the catechism of the Catholic Church:
1735 Imputability and responsibility for an action can be diminished or even nullified by ignorance, inadvertence, duress, fear, habit, inordinate attachments, and other psychological or social factors.

This paragraph of the Catechism is both vague and very broad in scope. There are many questions about it that need to be answered. For example, relevant here, is this: do you even have to confess the sin, if you don’t have the maturity to resist it (a psychological or social factor) or have a overwhelming habit, etc.?

Lacking a deeper explanation from a Church authority, I would say that you have follow the universal call to holiness, to try to eliminate sin in your life, but 1735 seems to be saying that you don’t have excessively worry about this.

Remember, this paragraph like everything in the Catechism is referred to by the Pope as the “deposit of faith.” This is our belief – and rejection of it (including 1735) would constitute heresy.

I would interpret 1735 as saying you have to try to be holy, but to recognize that there are times when you cannot resist every temptation, although that IS the goal of developing our spirituality. Recall, the Bible says “God is not mocked, stop sinning.”

Remember that repentence is, first of all, a change of heart. You should not want to sin. St. Paul says that even he does things that he does not want to. God will judge your actions by what is in your heart.

Old French book about the perils of masturbation - BEWARE!!:smiley:

dittrick.blogspot.com/2011/05/le-livre-sans-titre-1830.html

:thumbsup:

CHAPTER 13 – On Resisting Temptations [The Imitation of Christ]

So long as we live in this world, we cannot remain without trial and temptation: as Job says, “Man’s life on earth is a warfare.” We must therefore be on guard against temptations, and watchful in prayer, that the Devil find no means of deceiving us; for he never rests, but prowls around seeking whom he may devour. No one is so perfect and holy that he is never tempted, and we can never be secure from temptation.

Although temptations are so troublesome and grievous, yet they are often profitable to us, for by them we are humbled, cleansed, and instructed. All the Saints endured many trials and temptations, and profited by them; but those who could not resist temptations became reprobate, and fell away. There is no Order so holy, nor place so secluded, where there are no troubles and temptations.

No man can be entirely free from temptation so long as he lives; for the source of temptation lies within our own nature, since we are born with an inclination towards evil. When one temptation or trial draws to a close, another takes its place; and we shall always have something to fight, for man has lost the blessing of original happiness. Many try to escape temptations, only to encounter them more fiercely, for no one can win victory by flight alone; it is only by patience and true humility that we can grow stronger than all our foes.

The man who only avoids the outward occasions of evil, but fails to uproot it in himself, will gain little advantage. Indeed, temptations will return upon him the sooner, and he will find himself in a worse state than before. Little by little and by patient endurance you will overcome them by God’s help, better than by your own violence and importunity. Seek regular advice in temptation, and never deal harshly with those who are tempted, but give them such encouragement as you would value yourself.

The beginning of all evil temptation is an unstable mind and lack of trust in God. Just as a ship without a helm is driven to and fro by the waves, so a careless man, who abandons his proper course, is tempted in countless ways. Fire tempers steel, and temptation the just man. We often do not know what we can bear, but temptation reveals our true nature. We need especially to be on our guard at the very onset of temptation, for then the Enemy may be more easily overcome, if he is not allowed to enter the gates of the mind: he must be repulsed at the threshold, as soon as he knocks. Thus the poet Ovid writes, “Resist at the beginning; the remedy may come too late.” For first there comes into the mind an evil thought: next, a vivid picture: then delight, and urge to evil, and finally consent. In this way the Enemy gradually gains complete mastery, when he is not resisted at first. And the longer a slothful man delays resistance, the weaker he becomes, and the stronger his enemy grows against him.

Some people undergo their heaviest temptations at the beginning of their conversion; some towards the end of their course; others are greatly troubled all their lives; while there are some whose temptations are but light. This is in accordance with the wisdom and justice of God’s ordinance, who weighs the condition and merits of every man, and disposes all things for the salvation of those whom He chooses.

We must not despair, therefore, when we are tempted, but earnestly pray God to grant us his help in every need. For, as Saint Paul says, “With the temptation, God will provide a way to overcome it, that we may be able to bear bear it.” So, let us humble ourselves under the hand of God, in every trial and trouble, for He will save and raise up the humble in Spirit. In all these trials, our progress is tested; in them great merit may be secured, and our virtue become evident. It is no great matter if we are devout and fervent when we have no troubles; but if we show patience in adversity, we can make great progress in virtue. Some are spared severe temptations, but are overcome in the lesser ones of every day, in order that they may be humble, and learn not to trust in themselves, but to recognize their frailty.

Here is a site that will help.

catholicbridge.com/catholic/masturbation.php

If the events in Scotland these last couple of days teach us anything it is the catholic church should finally come clean about sexual abuse and stop getting involved in sexual matters
Masturbation is normal, if anyone tells you different, question their motives

When does normal determine what is right?
Would you like to know my motives for telling you different?

I am interested. Are you suggesting that masturbation is ‘wrong’?

Yes masturbation may be practised by 95% of people (including saints) sometime in their lifetime. That doesn’t make it something good to choose had one the freedom to do otherwise.

A bit like death really (I believe the incidence is 100%).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.