Masturbation a Sin ? 😕

bible.org/question/does-bible-say-masturbation-sin

Yes, it is a sin: vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P85.HTM#QG

Yes, it is sinful behavior, an offense against chastity. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2352 By masturbation is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."137 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."138
To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety, or other psychological or social factors that lessen or even extenuate moral culpability.

137 CDF, Persona humana 9.
138 CDF, Persona humana 9.

Yes.

Yes it a grave matter, if you do it with knowledge and consent, it is a mortal sin.

The sexual sins can be an easy quick fix for carnal pleasure, but can send you to hell even faster than they are committed.

I’ll echo the others. It is objectively a mortal sin. It takes the sexual act, which is intended to be the joining of a husband and wife into one, and makes it all about selfish gratification.

Jesus addressed the topic. He leaves no doubt that it’s a sin.

Did he now? Where did he say explicitly that stimulating your private parts is a mortal sin? Chapter and verse please. :slight_smile:

It seems fair to say that if withdrawal to have the pleasure but to frustrate the sexual act is a sin (see Onan), masturbation is, too, and is probably more grievous. And if coveting someone who is not your spouse is a sin, or even thinking of another woman in that way equated to adultery in your heart, then certainly that makes masturbation (a follow through on that) a sin for all those without wives, at the very least. And if the ancient Israelites saw wet dreams as creating ritual impurity, then we see evidence that there is possibly something about intentional ejaculation outside of marriage relations that is unclean, when taken in context with everything else. The Church throughout history has confirmed it a sin against chastity and the proper use of our sexual faculties.

Also, and this might not be as black and white, but Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, Ephesians 5:5-8 refer to “uncleanness” and being “effeminate” as serious sexual sins (given the surrounding context), which has been taken by various Church fathers to refer to masturbation (“effeminate” is, from the Greek, literally soft ones. Some have proposed masturbation and such, others have used it to refer to those too attached to luxury, others to transexuals or crossdressers).

Remember that the Church isn’t trying to slap on arbitrary rules. It’s, in a sense, seen as the true path to “enlightenment”, and a participation in the divine life, and how to build a spiritual union with God.

Christianity is, and was from the start, an ascetic movement. It was not as extreme as the sects that declared the material world to be evil or a prison of the soul, but it is about separating yourself from over attachment to worldly things to focus on the spiritual.

Sure. Matthew 5.

28 But I say to you, everyone who looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

29* If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into Gehenna.

30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into Gehenna.

And there is verse 30, right there where he is teaching on sins pertaining to sex… Quite clear. :wink: That’s why Catholics are taught to get the true meaning of a verse, read the ten verses before, and the ten after.

I don’t know why I never interpreted verses 29 and 30 as being direct extrapolations of 28 before.

Second the motion.

There’s much I admire about Catholic culture, but this part is pure insanity.

But hey, I’ll join in. Teaching people to go to war with their own bodies is a huge evil ruthlessly cruel sin punishable by 5,000 eternities in hellfire damnation etc etc.

This whole masterbation thing, nuts, completely nuts. Wacky cult nonsense. So much pointless suffering. Isn’t there enough real suffering in the world already?? Do you really have to invent some more, out of nothing? For crying out loud, show some mercy to the young folks who aren’t married yet. Give them a @#!#$ break. Such a cruel philosophy.

It is quite clear. Unless one’s mind is clouded by sin, or one is under demonic influence.:signofcross::knight1:

I am sorry, I see nothing here pertaining to masturbation. I see self-mutilation for frivolous reasons. By the way it is very strange that the communist party “borrowed” Jesus’ expression: “if you are not with us, then you are against us”. And verse 28 is what George Orwell described as “thought crime”. Isn’t it peculiar that the worst tyrannical systems are in agreement with Jesus?

Really underscores the importance of context, eh? Even atheists try to proof text…and they always seem to take verses completely out of context, displaying an utter lack of any sense of biblical scholarship.

And it’s that kind of thinking that led a substantial number of priests in to such confusion that they wound up raping children in the back room of the parish Church, which the Church then tried to sweep under the rug, a huge ugly scandal that will deeply damage the Church’s reputation for the next century at least. That’s where this kind of nonsense leads.

All things in moderation is pretty good advice. The Catholic emphasis on family is great. The celebration of marriage is great. The generally modest and dignified qualities of Catholic culture are too. These are good things about Catholicism that can serve as excellent role models for the rest of the culture.

You’re stomping all over your best qualities by getting carried away and letting the kooks among you turn Catholicism in to a big judgemental fire and brimstone cultural conversation about masterbation and homosexuality. You’re flushing the credibility you deserve down the toilet for no good reason, and it’s painful to watch.

Wake up. The churches are emptying out all over the Church’s European homeland. There’s a critical priest shortage. Masses of people are just walking away, never to be seen again. There’s a big price to be paid for rampant irrationality. And it’s all over nothing. Nothing at all.

War with their bodies? Cruel? Not to minimize people’s struggles with lust, but self control IS a thing. And not masturbating does not make you sexually repressed. If one feels that way, there is an issue going on. And it’s not the church. And if one slips up and truly feels sorry, confession is a gift given to us.

To be honest, your anger is somewhat justified if you are looking at the surface level. Maybe you would understand more if you were to read about the teachings on sex. I was pretty mad at it until I read it too.

I’m sorry, but that’s a disgusting thing to say. Those priests were just disgusting humans. Full stop. Not because the poor men weren’t allowed to lust! Give humans a little credit, sheesh. There are married pastors, sexually active people, etc who are pedophiles. Celibacy is not a reason.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.