masturbation

Looking up views on this subject I read answers from individuals and those answers are now 5 years old. What does the church say on this matter. A lot has changed in the past five years and this subject is very important to many males .

the church is clear on this sin. do you have a catechism?

And, 5 years from now and 5 from then the answer will be the same as 5 years ago as it is covered in the CCC which is not going to change. If you do a brief search of this forum you will find many threads from this year with excellent responses that will help you.

if you are looking for help in this area of your life, the old threads have plenty of recommendations. i would start with prayer, confession and the eucharist. God bless.

Be patient with yourself first and foremost. I struggle with sexual purity, but yes, frequent confessions, to the same priest who knows your struggles, plays a big help. Peace!

Nothing has changed except some people are looking for loopholes to justify continuing such a sin.

Masturbation was, is, and will always be a sin of grave matter. That is an infallible teaching of the Church and can never change.

Utter nonsense. How long will you persist in peddling this rubbish? I would imagine God is not that bothered by masturbation. To suggest he is shows naivety in the extreme and actually diminishes him as Creator because it implies he doesn’t exist out of time and is not all-knowing. This is a natural biological function and is difficult to avoid at the normal time. I am not a medical person or a scientist, but I realise that there is a reason these urges occur, though I cannot explain why. Therefore you cannot apply an ‘across the board’ condemnation of this ‘sin’.

but yes, frequent confessions, to the same priest who knows your struggles, plays a big help. Peace!

I must admit, I find this very amusing. The idea that we go and confess our ‘sins’ to another fallible human being, prone to the same urges as the rest of us. Yes, I know, it’s ‘unCatholic’: I must not use the brain God gave me because I am Catholic. But, you know what, I really don’t give a stuff what you think. In the words of Christ to Thomas a Kempis: “do not ascribe virtue to any man”. “No-one is good but God”.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. We only need to live by the Ten Commandments and the new commandment Jesus gave us. We don’t need these stupid medieval man-made rules. We all live by the Commandments without even thinking about them, even ‘atheists’. We know when we have flouted those rules: some people instantly, others deep down. This other stuff may have had it’s place in another era, but the modern world is different.

Best wishes,
Padster

Hi norman99,

Welcome to CAF! I hope CAF helps your to grow in your relationship with Jesus. This is a great site and a wonderful resource.

To answer your question - the Church’s teaching on masturbation is the same as it always has been and always will be. You can always find this and other questions you have on Church teaching in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC). This particular subject is covered in paragraph 2352:

2352 By *masturbation *is to be understood the deliberate stimulation of the genital organs in order to derive sexual pleasure. "Both the Magisterium of the Church, in the course of a constant tradition, and the moral sense of the faithful have been in no doubt and have firmly maintained that masturbation is an intrinsically and gravely disordered action."138 “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.” For here sexual pleasure is sought outside of "the sexual relationship which is demanded by the moral order and in which the total meaning of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love is achieved."139 To form an equitable judgment about the subjects’ moral responsibility and to guide pastoral action, one must take into account the affective immaturity, force of acquired habit, conditions of anxiety or other psychological or social factors that lessen, if not even reduce to a minimum, moral culpability.

Source: vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm#2352

The term “gravely disordered action” means that it’s a mortal sin if it’s freely done with full knowledge and deliberate consent.

If you or someone you know struggles with this, please know that there are an abundance of resources out there to help you. No one need struggle alone with this.

Feel free to post anytime if you have more questions! Peace and God Bless!

Perhaps he has a Youcat. There could be some confusion there…

I am wondering what the OP thinks has changed that would affect the sinfulness of touching one’s genitals to orgasm? Perhaps I need to get out more…

Masturbation is a sin of grave matter and that is an infallible teaching of the Church. Any Catholic who rejects this teaching commits heresy. You private opinion contradicts the infallible Church teaching on this and you going around telling people its okay to masturbate because it doesn’t really bother God is frankly shocking.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.