Mathew 7: 24 - 26

Dear Friends

I was reading Mathew Chapter 7, and it was interesting to me when I arrived at verse 24 following

Verse 24
“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock"

Verse 25
The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.

Verse 26
But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.

My questions is, could the above verses be cross reference to Peter the Rock, The Rock that Jesus built his church upon.

If so, this is very vital for Protestants to read, as the verse is basically using an analogy of anyone who sets up their home away from the rock the foundation, is a foolish individual and their dwelling place will be equivalent to sand and can be easily washed away.

I think the analogy holds whether it references Peter or not. In this particular case, I don’t think it does.

It is vital for all Christians to read, including Catholics.

If we build our house on solid rock we are wise. That is if we follow our Lord Jesus Christ, pray much, listen to everything He taught us and act on it, make use of the sacraments, etc., then when things happen that are a “storm” in our life we can withstand it and grow closer to the Lord through it. (sickness, loss of job, tragedy, inconvenience).

If we build our house on sand it is easy for it to collapse and wash away.

I don’t know if that passage is about Peter the Rock.

Nope. It refers to Jesus’s teaching not to Peter.

Salutations
The WORD OF GOD is living water. It flows down smaller streams to larger rivers to the Ocean=;our soul. I feel these verses are simply written. Build your house on Jesus, otherwise, your house will be destroyed.
BUT, as each person reads it, the Holy Spirit will bring a meaning out for that soul. They could get the message of ROCK=ST. PETER, Catholic Church=leave, become Protestant, and your house is lost as it was built on sand. That person might need that verse at that time. If you feel lead to show someone, do so!
in Christ’s love
Tweedlealice

It is certainly consistent with Christ founding His Church on Kepha. After all, making the easily twisted scriptures (2 Peter 3:16) your foundation places the ego in charge of interpreting - thus division occurred instantly among the reformers, and continues to this day. Combine this with the staggering number of versus and other references to Peter as shepherd, source of strength, guidance (even to Paul), and it is clearly consistent. Look at the storms and torrents the Church has withstood in 2,000 years.

Hi!

…yeah, but only in a round-about-way!

That Rock is Jesus. Since Jesus Delegated His Authority to Cephas, a rejection of Cephas is a Rejection of Christ:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]16 He that heareth you, heareth me; and he that despiseth you, despiseth me; and he that despiseth me, despiseth him that sent me.

(St. Luke 10:16)
…the problem with Protestants is that they must reject Cephas or cease being Protestants–talk about being caught between the Rock and a hard place! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.