Matins: How was this prayer integrated into daily life of religious communities?

Not sure if I’m posting this in the correct place, but wasn’t sure where it would really fit.

When Matins was traditionally said at midnight, did religious wake up in the middle of the night to say the prayers & then go back to bed? Did they stay up afterward and thus begin their day? Did they stay up until after midnight in order to say the prayers at the traditional time? Some other routine? :confused:

~Always Wondered and Never Known

In many communities, Matins (and sometimes Lauds with it) would be anticipated overnight.

Or it would be said in conjunction with Lauds at 2-3 am.

In many communities, Matins would be said by itself at midnight, 1am, or whenever. The sisters would then go back to bed. When they got up, Lauds would be said before Mass. That’s another way to do it.

Nowadays, it’s called the Office of Readings (isn’t it?) and I know that in some communities it is said during the day, combined with Midday Prayer, for example.

The thing that has always puzzled me is when was the office of Prime said. It no longer exists and I always wondered where it fit in the scheme of things.

They would wake up and say Matins (and sometimes aggregate Lauds) at 2-3 AM then go back to bed. Then they would wake up at 6 AM for Prime.

But, many monasteries would do other things to.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.