Matrimony in the Bible

Hello!

Is St. Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians (5,22-32) considered the place where the the Bible describes the divine charter of marriage? Thank you!

Have a blessed day! :wink:

:popcorn:

Good question!

Yes, along with Mark 10, Genesis 2, and Hebrews 13:4. And there are other ones too.

The first place would be in Genesis
Gen.1:27-28 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them, and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and…

Gen 2:18 Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him.”
Gen 2:21-22 So the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh; and the rib which the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.

And Jesus also taught on marriage:
Mt. 19:5-6 and said, For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder."

[Accidental double post]]

Wasn’t marriage instituded by God back in Genesis with Adam and Eve?

Yes and he continued to instituted in the NT with his gospels, and Paul continued to talk about the importance of marriage.

There’s no “one place”; the Bible is a totality.

We start with Genesis 1 and 2 - the first man and the first woman.

We have laws related to marriage, and what is forbidden (fornication, adultery) in Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

The Prophet Hosea uses marriage as a figure of our relationship with God - His love, and our unfaithfulness.

I don’t think I need to comment on the Song of Solomon (Canticles). :smiley:

The Gospels contain Christ’s teaching on marriage and divorce.

St. Paul places marriage and the consecrated life in perspective in 1 Corinthians.

And both Ephesians 5 and Colossians 3 talk about the ideal of Christian marriage and family life, which all of us called to this vocation must strive to attain.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.