Matt 6: 12?

“and forgive us our sins,
as we have forgiven those who sin against us.”

I know this is really primary. But it is too much for me.

**St. Matthew 6: 12 and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

“As” is the translation of “kai.” Most of the time “kai” is translated “and.”

So what part of speech is the original?

Did those kind of distinctions exist at the time of the writing of the Gospel?

Does it remain that part of speech when translated into English?

For me, “as” would be better understood be “and.” God forgives me my sins “and” then I am able to forgive those around me.

Any and all help is welcome.

THANKS

As means in like manner.

We cannot receive God’s forgiveness until we forgive those who have offended us.

He said to them, "For your hardness of heart Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so. (Mattew 19:8)

Our hearts are hardened when we do not forgive. God’s forgiveness cannot penetrate a hard heart. It softens our hearts when we forgive and we can then receive God’s forgiveness.

It is a prayer that we are able to forgive and so can ourselves receive forgiveness.

-Tim-

According to Faith Data base the word used is hos not kai. Hos is an adv 1) as, like, even as, etc.
What is your source for the word kai?

biblehub.com/interlinear/matthew/6-12.htm

As per the above, and also noted by adrift, the word “as” is translated from the Greek “hos”. “Kai” is translated as “also,” as in, “as also.”

The Greek is actually:

“kai aphes hemin ta opheilemata hemon hos kai hemeis aphekamen tois opheiletais hemon;”

TimothyH, Adrift and MrSnaith have covered it all.

I just wanted to add that it might be helpful to you to get
Young’s Literal Translation

It’s the old and new testament translated word for word from the Greek.

But sometimes you still have to know what the word actually means or how it is used as TimothyH noted.

God bless you.

thanks!

You guys are the best!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.