Matthew 10:34-36 HELP Jesus: A Cause of Division

Yes, absolutely. In some times and cultures (and perhaps ours soon) people had to make great sacrifices, even unto death to be a Christian. We are in the world, but not “of” it, and we are to be a contradiction in society. Jesus calls us to be light and salt. These ways of being in the world can cause sharp consequences, as those who are in darkness do not like light to be shone upon their evil deeds. And I am sure you know that salt, when it touches a raw wound, is very painful.

Jesus calls everyone to choose:

Deut 30:18-20
19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you today that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Choose life so that you and your descendants may live…

Matt 4:17
From that time Jesus began to proclaim, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

and sometimes this creates a sharp division, and controversy. Some people don’t want to repent.

Acts 17:30-31
30 While God has overlooked the times of human ignorance, now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31 because he has fixed a day on which he will have the world judged in righteousness

No one wants to face that day of judgment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.