Matthew 24:1 What did Jesus *not* know about the temple?

“And Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to him.” Matthew 24:1

Why? Why were they pointing out the temple buildings to him? Were they being naive? This was not the first time any of them had seen the temple and surrounding buildings. In fact, in this instance, Jesus *had just come from *the temple and was some distance, short or long from it. Why would any Jew feel a need to “point out the temple buildings” to another Jew who had already been there multiple times? Were they pointing to new buildings that had been erected near the temple? Were they pointing out old buildings that, uncared for, were beginning to crumble? Were they pointing out new decorations? Were they pointing out some place that Jesus was supposed to have gone but didn’t? Why was anyone pointing out temple buildings to, of all people, the man they knew to be the Messiah?

Imagine you go to a beautiful church every Sunday. Does this mean you can never stop, take a look on it and point out, how beautiful it is? Or do you prefer to stop noticing beauty and grandeur and just follow the routine?

Talk about over-analyzing.

Tarquin.

At times in the past I was traveling with my brother in the car.

And while riding along I would say, check out that great car. Or “look at that nice boat” being trailered along side of our car.

And sometimes I would put this in a rhetorical question format. (“Can you believe a car THAT nice!?”)

This doesn’t mean I think my brother was unaware of this type of car or boat before then.

I always understood my brother was aware of this or that kind of car or boat.

The disciples likewise were just reflecting on the splendor of the Temple.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Not as safe a place to ask questions as I thought. I’ll keep the others to myself a while longer.

Thanks, Cathoholic. I get that. But I don’t know if that was what was going on. I believe the things that were said and done, that are recorded in the Bible, have the potential in each case, to teach us something more than mundane. So I think this is telling us something about Jesus or his disciples or the role of the temple in their immediate future. Perhaps it is as you say, because immediately afterwards, Jesus says the temple will be torn down. That would be an expected response to, “Look! It’s so wonderful! It will stand forever!” But it could also be a response to “Look, I think it is crumbling. We need to find a way to support it.” In that case, Jesus would be saying, “Spend your time on more fruitful pursuits.” Some people think this is unimportant. I wish they would tear the verse out of their Bibles so it would not be a distraction to them. :wink:

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 1. After the fatigues of preaching and teaching, Jesus towards evening left the temple, as it is in the Greek, eporeueto apo tou ierou, and went towards Mount Olivet, where he was accustomed to spend his nights, as we learn from St. Luke, chap. xxi. ver. 37. (Jansenius) — His disciples came to shew him the buildings, not moved by curiosity, for they had seen them frequently before, but by pity; because he had on a former occasion, and only just before in Jerusalem, threatened the destruction of the temple and city, hoping that the splendour and magnificence of so fine a structure, consecrated to God, might alter his determination, as St. Hilary observes. But the anger of God, provoked by sins, is not to be appeased with stones and buildings. He therefore answered them: (Jansenius)

Thistle, thank you. That sounds so reasonable! A demonstration (“See the temple, Lord”) as part of a presentation on why Jesus should or should not feel a certain way or do a certain thing. I hadn’t known about Haydock’s commentary. I have found it on line at studylight.org and one other place, so will be using it now. (The sites allowing for downloads use formats not available to me.) Thanks again, Thistle!

Hi!
…yeah, I saw that coming… :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Some times people are quick at the trigger and a question such as yours may ring as obvious.

Please don’t get discouraged; keep bringing them up (questions)–we exercise both our minds and spirits when we are engaged!

I remember one of my teachers stating that there is never a stupid question (since we are seeking knowledge/understanding). Rather, if we do not post (as in ask) questions we may remain in ignorance–now, that’s stupid.

Now, …just imagine visiting a place with someone that is held in high regards… it’s natural to feel some sort of nervousness/giddiness… we say and do things that are so basic we start smacking (figuratively) ourselves almost as soon as we say/do it! I think that was one of those moments for the disciples… they wanted to share a “special” moment with Christ… Christ, being Who He Is, turned it into a Teaching Moment!

Maran atha!

Angel

Thanks, jcrichton. :slight_smile:

Perhaps Jesus had mentioned to the disciples privately that the ‘walls would come tumbling down’. But maybe it didn’t truly register with them until they were up close to the massive structures and mentally applying Jesus’ words.

Mark 13:1 - And as He went out of the temple, one of His disciples saith unto Him, Master, see what manner of stones and what buildings! As in, “You’ve got to be joking!”

:slight_smile:

Very good idea. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.