Matthew 24 & 25

Just read Matthew 24 and 25. Blimey, strong stuff!!

What does it mean?

Shocked me when i read those 2 chapters.

Anyone able to shed some light on them and what you think Jesus is saying in those words? Thanks

Matthew 25:14-30 I see as an obvious parable regarding our charisms. Each of us is given a charism, a gift of the Holy Spirit, to use in the building up of the Church. The Master has entrusted each of His servants with a quantity of talents - according to their abilities. He left, but upon returning, will call each of us to account for what we did with His "talents" (charisms) in His absence. He expects an increase. If we simply hid our talent and offer it back to Him, he will not be pleased. Love demands that we build up His Church in His absence. If we do not, do we truly love Him?

[quote="po18guy, post:2, topic:312293"]
Matthew 25:14-30 I see as an obvious parable regarding our charisms. Each of us is given a charism, a gift of the Holy Spirit, to use in the building up of the Church. The Master has entrusted each of His servants with a quantity of talents - according to their abilities. He left, but upon returning, will call each of us to account for what we did with His "talents" (charisms) in His absence. He expects an increase. If we simply hid our talent and offer it back to Him, he will not be pleased. Love demands that we build up His Church in His absence. If we do not, do we truly love Him?

[/quote]

I´ve read and contemplated on this scripture a million times, but you my friend make it so clear. You´re a good man. God bless:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It reads like the end of the world as you read on!

[quote="ajecphotos, post:1, topic:312293"]

What does it mean?

Anyone able to shed some light on them and what you think Jesus is saying in those words? Thanks

[/quote]

Jesus was speaking in AD 30 prophesying the destruction of the Jewish temple. It was fulfilled forty years later in AD 70 when Titus sacked Jerusalem. Not one stone was left standing on the other. (24:2)

Some commentators (Preterists) stop at the events of AD 70 but it seems to me that Jesus 'telescopes' his description beyond those days to the more distant return of Christ and to the end of the world. (24:29) In other words the initial fulfillment, as dreadful as it was, was a precursor of something greater to come.

My take, Cyber

What does it mean?

[/quote]

Just get this part right, and you don't need to figure out the rest. No one can, anyway.

25:31-46
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, and all the nations* will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’

Then the righteous* will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’

And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’

Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’

He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

But we need to get started and be faithful in this. Because we don't know when we'll be called.

It is fasinating to read but hard to understand. I have ordered the Ignatius study bible, NT so hoping that will help me out!

Short version: "For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works."

The study (NT) bible i received has been a great help so far! Well worth buying. Thanks to those ho recommended it.

What does it mean?

[/quote]

haydock1859.tripod.com/id42.html
haydock1859.tripod.com/id43.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.