Matthew 26:39

Specifically, what is the meaning of “this cup might pass?”

The trial and passion he was to endure …

Although Christ was willing to submit to the father’s will and suffer and die, I doubt very much that his human side or his divine side wanted to endure such pains. Basically, he was asking God if he could avoid the intense pain he was about to suffer on our behalf. He followed up with “not my will, but yours…” meaning that, whatever God chose, he would honor the father by submitting to His will.

As LoveAndMercy said, the cup specifically refers to the tortuous death he was about to suffer.

Listen here:

youtube.com/watch?v=GzaiwqsDAm8

The Fourth Cup is the cup that Christ refused to drink during the Last Supper. It would have concluded the Passover He was celebrating. But His Passover was not completed until He died on the Cross. This is also why one of His last acts on the Cross was to drink the wine to complete the Last Supper.

Listen very intently, and listen multiple times. It will help you to understand that the Last Supper, the Eucharist, the Crucifixion, and Resurrection are all interrelated. They are one continuous, perpetual sacrifice to the Father, and if you don’t understand one of them, you won’t fully understand any of them.

I might not have found this passage if not for your question; it’s amazing. Thanks.

Perhaps Jesus is saying that He knows well the cup He is about to drink - because He has watched Jerusalem drink it for a very long time - the cup of God’s fury.

Isaiah 51:17-23 - 17 Awake, awake, rise up!, O Jerusalem, which hast drunk at the hand of Yahweh the cup of his fury; thou hast drunken the dregs of the cup of trembling, and wrung them out.

18 There is none to guide her among all the sons whom she hath brought forth; neither is there any that taketh her by the hand of all the sons that she hath brought up.

19 These two things are come unto thee; who shall be sorry for thy desolation and destruction, and the famine and the sword? who shall comfort thee?

20 Thy sons have fainted, they lie at the head of all the streets, as a wild ox in a net: they are full of the fury of Yahweh, and rebuke the Eloim of you.

21 Therefore hear now this, thou afflicted, and drunken, but not with wine:

22 Thus says, Lord of you, Yahweh, because of Elohim of you, that pleadeth the cause of his people, Behold! I have taken out of thine hand the cup of trembling, even the dregs of the cup of my fury; not you shall continue to drink further,

23 And I have put it into the hand of them that afflict thee; which have said to thy soul, Bow down, that we may go over: and thou hast laid thy body as the ground, and as the street, to them that went over.

Isaiah 52:-3 - 1 Awake! awake! put on thy strength, O Zion! put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean.

2 Shake thyself! from the ashes, arise you! and settle, O Jerusalem: loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion.

3 For thus saith the Lord, Ye have sold yourselves for nought; and ye shall be redeemed without money.

He was thinking about all the ungrateful people who wouldn’t care about his crucifixion.

I think Dr. Hahn explains it definitively. He is world class Bible expert.

Yes the lukewarm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.