Matthew 27:52-52

Can someone please explain to me what was going on in Matthew just after Christ died when the dead were climbing out of their graves? And why there is no apparent record or reaction to this event?

Thank you in advance for your time.

I’ve also been wondering about this, and whether the Church explains what was going on. Was it their actual bodies coming out of the graves, their souls, or some type of shade?

It is, in part, a reference to the writings of the Prophet Daniel.

Many of those who sleep
in the dust of the earth shall awake;
Some to everlasting life,
others to reproach and everlasting disgrace

(Daniel 12:2)

Death, resurrection, earthquakes and splitting of rocks were common themes in the Old Testament which indicate the presence of God and ushering in of a new age. The rocks split and earth quaked at Mt. Sinai.

The whole passage is a reference to the Old Testament themes and the advent of the age of Christ. John continues many of these same themes in the Book of Revelation.

-Tim-

And, is not only a reference of past scripture, but a pronouncement of things to come, through fulfillment of those prophetic scriptures, not necessarily events unfolding at the moment…

Peace and all good!

This site offers some new insights (for me). Thanks for the question as I’d only ever read the commentaries before instead of ‘widening the search’. PJ

“The connection of the tomb openings with the preceding rending of the rocks is splendidly visible in the Dura Europos synagogue wall-paintings that portray the raising of the dead as part of the enlivening of the dry bones in Ezek 37…”

christianthinktank.com/oddrise.html

Well it would seem that Jesus had released souls from the ‘dead’,and of course if he went to 'hell ’ to do that, it makes sense . As to why the Church,churches ignore it ,well it is not the only thing they ignore ,so I am not surprised .

It also accounts for so many who did not see Jesus ,but became martyrs for His cause ,as what better evidence for God’s power ,than to raise up those who were dead and gone .

So, was this more of a literary device that continued on the author’s intent to emphasize the redeeming aspect of Christ with reference to jewish writings and prophesy, or was this an actual event?

I realize that the actual event of it would emphasize Christ’s redeeming mission. People climbing out of their graves would be quite a show in revealing Christ’s power over death.

But as a show, I am having trouble explaining to others the fact that it has not received much attention, either during the time it happened or now.

This is true ,but living in modren world which manages to hide events which the government and their media don’t want you to know, then it is possible that it happened ,but being threatening ,and ‘wierd’ it was maybe supressed :not difficult,as much of history has been . :confused:

An actual event.
Matthew 27:
[52] the tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the** saints **who had fallen asleep were raised,
[53] and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many.
Verse 52: It’s interesting to note that only those qualifying for the title of “saint” were raised. Nothing to tell how much “many” equals numerically.
Verse 53: **There was probably not much of a “show”. **Rather doubt there was anyone present in the graveyard when the bodies arose. And their appearances to others were probably to individuals (or perhaps individual families)-- albeit “many” individuals. The “many” in verse 53 does not mean they were all gathered together. It would probably only have been with time that individuals learned that others had experienced an apparition/s also - enough that Matthew could refer to them as “many”.

Matt. 24:

22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect’s sake those days shall be shortened.

23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.

24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect**.**

25 Behold, I have told you before.

26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

This sounds like the same thing occurring in the future.

A couple of years ago during the hype about 2012 according to the Mayan calendar, I was stopped in traffic. On the tailgate of the truck in front of me was a large decal that read, “Zombie Alert Response Team”. The CDC website said it began as a joke, but it makes ya wonder what they are really trying to get us to prepare for. (The Clinton and Bush disaster preparation ‘commercial’ seems odd, as well.)

Perhaps more ‘saints will rise’ at the 2nd Coming? If so, it’s kinda weird they may have chosen to call them ‘zombies’, eh? Then again, maybe they are just preparing us for some very strange effects of chemical warfare of some type. Dunno.

PJ

We’re all going to rise at the 2nd Coming of Our Lord. That will be the end of the world and the time of the general judgment.

Mt.25:31-32 WHEN THE SON OF MAN COMES IN HIS GLORY, AND ALL THE ANGELS WITH HIM, THEN HE WILL SIT ON HIS GLORIOUS THRONE. BEFORE HIM WILL BE GATHERED ALL THE NATIONS, AND HE WILL SEPARATE THEM ONE FROM ANOTHER…

It’s that last bit, that worries me .

It’s something we all need to keep in mind — and worry about, especially if we choose to ignore God in our life and/or choose to act in ways that contradict His teaching.

Very interesting.:thumbsup:

closed #16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.