Matthew 28:19-20

(Objection: In the Church everyone is subject only to the authority of the Bible.)

28:19

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

28:20

teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age."

These verses are known as “The Great Commission.” Here Jesus tells the apostles to baptize and teach what He taught them. He didn’t instruct them to go and write a book. Jesus Himself never wrote a book. He would have been the most logical one to do so if that is what He intended; to build a church based on a book. The Church is built by teaching others through preaching the teachings of Jesus. Faith comes from what is heard [preached] (Romans 10:17). The Church existed before the Bible.

Your post is absolutely correct. I believe the problem enters when “unofficial” teachings creep into practice. When I was young I can remember being taught that if you completed a novena you were guaranteed entrance into heaven. This of course was never, to my knowledge, “official” Church teaching, but it was taught. After Vat II, late 1960’s, I was taught that the abstinence from meat, or any other alternative, on Fridays was no longer required, this also was incorrect. There are numerous incorrect teachings, unofficial of course, but still incorrect, being taught. These of course are superficial and do not in any way change the basic beliefs. I can understand the protestors desire to keep to the basics, although they lose some beautiful teachings. They seem to forget the original intent of sola Scriptura, that teachings which go against Scripture should not be taught and have progressed to the incorrect interpretation that every teaching must be included in Scripture. There are several Christian (Catholic) teachings, which are not included in Scripture, but there are none that I’m aware of which contradict Scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.