Matthew 28:9, question about this verse?

My gf and I have been reading the Bible, we done our OT reading already. So were in Matthew 28:9, and it, and behold Jesus meet them, and said, “Hail”

This is my question, I taught that only royalty was greeted with that word, “Hail” I say this because, in the gospel of Luke when the Angel Gabriel goes to Mary, he calls her, Hail, Full of Grace. Which I know when royalty gets called Hail, the person also kneels in front of the person. An example, is when the Romans in Matthew 27:29, were they kneeled and called him, “Hail, King of the Jews”.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Interesting question.

Hi Chero,

The word translated here as “hail” is Χαίρετε in Greek, which actually has quite a few meanings. Generally, it means “greetings” or “hail”, and as you say, is the same word (or root word, for here it’s in the plural form) used to greet Mary. However, it can also mean “rejoice” or “be joyful”, and so has the connotation of a happy greeting, such as “Good day” or “Glad tiding”.

It isn’t a word that is exclusively used for nobility or some position of status.

True. “Hail” here means “greetings”.

How can I differentiate and explain it to my gf?

The Angel Gabriel greeted Mary “Hail, full of grace…”
So He used "Hail "as a greeting. and the Hail Mary we usually pray is a greeting (salutation) to the Blessed Virgin Mary so “Hail” could be used to greet someone.

I understand that but when the angel Gabriel tells Mary, hail, or when the Romans mock Jesus and say Hail, King of the Jews, I believed that it was bc of royalty. Which is why we as Catholics believe and teach that the way the angel presented himself to Mary was that of royalty, because, granted she is the queen.

Well, Jesus the Son of God was born in a manger to show us how Humble He is and to teach us Humility so if you want to think that “Hail” is only used for kings/queens then take it as Jesus greeted them in a humble way for He descended from Heaven to teach us many things especially Love and Humility.

I don’t think there is any other meaning to this…

Ok, I think I understand it now.

We are royalty. We are part of Jesus’ royal family. We share in his royal priesthood and will reign with him. Peter the Pope even says it.

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s own people, that you may declare the wonderful deeds of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. (1 Peter 2:9)

Matthew 19 says that the twelve Apostles will sit on twelve thrones in judgment of the tribes.

Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of man shall sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Matthew 19:28)

Only royalty sits on thrones.

*if we endure, we shall also reign with him;
if we deny him, he also will deny us;
(1 Timothy 2:12)

and hast made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and they shall reign on earth
."
(Revelation 5:10)*

They came to life, and reigned with Christ a thousand years. (Revelation 20:4)

Jesus’ greeting could very well have been a royal greeting. It is clear from scripture that we are to be royalty and share in Christ’s reign. We have already begun to share in that promise here on earth through the ministry of the Church and her sacraments.

Are we not incensed during the major feast days at Mass? Incense was always reserved for royalty. Mass is where heaven meets earth, where the royal priesthood realized fully in heaven meets the royal priesthood of baptized Christians here on earth and together they worship God. That is why we are incensed. We are royalty. We entered the royal family of God through our baptism.

In my mind it definitely is a royal greeting, and an exhortation to live as befitting royalty. We should all be very proud of our membership in the family of Christ the King and live with the dignity and confidence of someone who is a member of His royal family.

-Tim-

χαίρω chairo

The KJV translates Strongs G5463 in the following manner: rejoice (42x), be glad (14x), joy (5x), hail (5x), greeting (3x), God speed (2x), all hail (1x), joyfully (1x), farewell (1x).

:thumbsup::thumbsup: I thought of this too !

Bear in mind that although the Greek text uses various forms of the Greek verb “chairo”, we don’t really know what Aramaic word was used in these conversations.

I don’t think “hail” was a greeting used only for royalty. It might seem that way though because it is an archaic word. The word is related to the word health, and therefore parallels the etymology of the Latin “salve,” which is related to “salus” (health, or also salvation). As far as I am aware, “hail” is just a general salutation (which is also from salus) and does not connote royalty in older texts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.