Matthew 4:18-20 - Fishers of Men...apply to everyone?

Hi … in context, it seems these verses pertain to the Priesthood, but does it also apply in a different way to all men, including women?

“As he walked by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is called Peter and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Immediately they left their nets and followed him.” - Matthew 4:18-20

God Bless You,
Brian

My friend, my answer to this is that my conversion to the Catholic Faith (for which I thank God for bringing me home and was I really that slow and stubborn to believe that it took so long) was actually a consequence of the Early Church Fathers. Maybe it is the history rather than contemporary that draws people, and the original fishers are still fishing?

Yes and Yes…

The ordained on a larger level of “Fishers of Men” in that they are persona Christie (did I spell all that right?) and we, as the laity, on a smaller level as part of the Body of Christ.:thumbsup:

By fishers of men (women) I believe it means “saving souls.” If we are Christ’s we need to do our part toward saving souls for Him. If we are not, somthing is very wrong. One of the best ways which everyone can participate in Our Lord’s saving work is the little way. It really amounts to your life being made into an offering to God for the salvation of souls. It begins each day with a morning offering such as for souls consecrated to Our Lady:

“Oh my God I desire today to gain every indulgence and merit I can and I offer them together with myself to Mary Immaculate that she may best apply them to the interests of thy most Sacred Heart.” Then you go about your daily duties in line with your station in life trying to do good works and staying in a state of grace. Your life lived well becomes part of the work of salvation.

Matthew 6: 6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Absolutely. Don’t forget, in Baptism, we are all share in the priest, prophet, and kingship of Christ. Our priesthood is not the same as the ordained, but it is a priesthood.

So yes, it applies to us.

I saw an Nov translation that says “fish for PEOPLE”! Gender neutral is just plain silly!

Pay attention to the context, to whom Jesus is speaking. He is speaking not to the “crowds” nor to the “Jews” nor to the “Gentiles” nor to his “brethren” but to his Apostles. He was speaking to the leaders of his new Church. This is not to say that the laity are not to win souls for Christ, but Jesus message was spoken to two specific individuals, one of them his prime minister Peter.

The Church is God’s instrument of salvation on earth. The boat and the were the instruments which Peter and Andrew used to catch fish. Now they would use the Church - God’s instrument of salvation on earth - and the sacraments and the word of God to catch men. The boat and net correspond to the Church and the sacraments and the word of God. Peter and Andrew were to use those instruments.

Everyone is quick to assume the role of fisherman. We are all called to evangelize but I don’t hear anyone on this thread ready to assume the role of the one’s being caught in the net.

-Tim-

I think the CC teaches people that this is talking about the priesthood, but imo, I think it means ALL of us, but I think the CC does not want to tell its followers that they must actively go out and try to convert people, like many other religions do.

I know alot of catholics and have many good friends that attend mass regularly, but I have never seen one of them actively trying to convert strangers, and/or bring up the topic in social settings in an attempt to get someone interested, the most Ive heard any catholic say is an invite to mass, but that is about as far as they go in their attempt, BUT when it comes to other religions, I have come across some very good talkers, almost like salesmen, trying very hard to get someone ‘saved’ or at least a promise to join them at church.

Most of the catholics I have seen and know dont seem to be overly proactive in converting strangers. I really have alot of respect for Pentecostals, I know quite a few of them as well, and nearly all of them are very proactive in trying to convert people, they will go up to complete strangers, give them their church address and invite them, start talking to them about the bible, God, etc. It is amazing to see how devoted they are, not just the Pentecostals either, Ive seen a few other denominations doing similar things.

Trying to convert people is called proselytizing. Sharing the good news is evangelizing. We are not to proselytize but to evangelize.

These are not my words but the words of the Pope.

-Tim-

My friend, I put up my hand as one caught in the net.:slight_smile:

thanks, interesting…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.