Matthew 5:23-24

I’m reading a Lenten devotion that is focusing on this passage and am quite confused as to how to apply this today. I have a tendency to over think and be scrupulous about things so have decided to ask the proper teaching on this passage 23 “Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, 24 leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift.

Automatically a scrupulous person would think, “ok now before Church I have to seek out all those I’ve offended and dredge up the past before God forgives me or else I will go to hell”. Now I realize in the back of my mind this is rediculuous but need more help understanding

I have always thought of this Gospel passage, after reading about such a connection somewhere, as referring to our reception of Jesus in Holy Communion while in the state of grace and without any mortal sin on our souls. If we are conscious of any grave sin, such as being at odds with one of our brethren, then we should refrain from receiving.

May God bless you abundantly and forever! :slight_smile:

Fortunately, that is built into the Mass in the form of the Penitential Rite

From Redemptionis Sacramentum

1. The practice of the Roman Rite is to be maintained according to which the peace is extended shortly before Holy Communion. For according to the tradition of the Roman Rite, this practice does not have the connotation either of reconciliation or of a remission of sins, but instead signifies peace, communion and charity before the reception of the Most Holy Eucharist. It is rather the Penitential Act to be carried out at the beginning of Mass (especially in its first form) which has the character of reconciliation among brothers and sisters.

Thanks! The meditation I read implied it was to be actual reconciliation before Mass. I’m glad to know the Mass is sufficient

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.