Matthew 7:6 Don't cast pearls before swine......

Friends:

Let me hear please your interpretation of what this verse means??? What does it mean for our daily lives and whom we deal with, whom we share our hearts with, whom we share our Catholic Faith with? I’ve heard this quoted so many times, need some help!!!

[quote=sparkle]Friends:
Let me hear please your interpretation of what this verse means??? What does it mean for our daily lives and whom we deal with, whom we share our hearts with, whom we share our Catholic Faith with? I’ve heard this quoted so many times, need some help!!!
[/quote]

Here’s the quote I got from the online NIV “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.”

I guess I would see this as don’t waste time on unimportant things. Why let your life be consumed with something that is ultimately meaningless?

This is a abbreaviated Commentary in the Douay-Rheims Bible (1588)
Matt7:6, Give not things that are Holy to scanalous Libertines, Infedels or those unworthy to partake of divine mysteries. We should not hold any communication of religion with our enemies nor should you have any friendship with criminals for they will betray you.

That pretty well locks it up, doesn’t it?

[quote=Exporter]This is a abbreaviated Commentary in the Douay-Rheims Bible (1588)
Matt7:6, Give not things that are Holy to scanalous Libertines, Infedels or those unworthy to partake of divine mysteries. We should not hold any communication of religion with our enemies nor should you have any friendship with criminals for they will betray you.

That pretty well locks it up, doesn’t it?
[/quote]

Thx!!! What exactly does an “enemy” mean??? Someone who hates you??? Do you think this verse then means do not share your deepest heart with someone who is not able to understand it? Or only ridicules you for your beliefs?

I suggest it means don’t denigrate the good news by offering it to someone who isn’t disposed to listen to it.

If you find someone who is openly hostile to the gospel, being sarcastic, disrespectful, then walk away. But if they seem to have a genuine interest, then present the treasure to them.

Jesus sent the disciples out to spread the good news, but he told them if they were not welcomed in any town, to kick the dust from that town off their shoes and move on.

I am very guilty of matthew 7;6,here on this site. There are Wiccans,and Masons who come here and try to spread their [beliefs] on christians. I just dont know when to give up? Yet I continue to cast pearls before them.It does come to a point that all we can do for them is pray. :confused: God Bless

SPOKENWORD:

I admire the senior members here who patiently stand up to pagan attacks on us.

Maybe the line is crossed when presenting the gospel seems to be the very trigger that incites them to mock it and degrade it, but as long as there is a modicum of reverence on their part for the word, then you should never give up.

I think the idea is to protect the word from irreverence, and also to protect yourself from harm.

[quote=sparkle]Thx!!! What exactly does an “enemy” mean??? Someone who hates you??? Do you think this verse then means do not share your deepest heart with someone who is not able to understand it? Or only ridicules you for your beliefs?
[/quote]

Who is an “enemy”? The average person will detect who is an enemy I think. This thread has already mentioned who constitute an “enemy”. This verse is mostly talking about disrespect to religion.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]I am very guilty of matthew 7;6,here on this site. There are Wiccans,and Masons who come here and try to spread their [beliefs] on christians. I just dont know when to give up? Yet I continue to cast pearls before them.It does come to a point that all we can do for them is pray. :confused: God Bless
[/quote]

Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes it seems to take some effort first, before you really realize that you’re casting pearls before swine. Once you realize it, then it’s the “all you can do is pray”.

I have some very nasty relatives who have nothing but negative things to say about the RCC, yet they continue to pester me and ask questions, then when I answer them, they throw another dart. I’ve finally said to myself it’s not even worth it to entertain a discussion with them any more. I will pray for them, now it’s the Holy Spirit’s job to take it from here.

I agree with the interpretation that Christ is telling us not to get into discussions about the Christian faith with people who seek only to tear it down. I admit I am guilty of doing this on occasion. I think the sin involved is pride, pride that somehow by sheer force of argument I can convince someone about the correctness of Christianity when really that is a task properly left to the Holy Spirit.

Really good answers, everyone!

I just thought of another viewpoint. In the Old Testament, the swine was forbidden to the Israelites as one of the “unclean” animals. Jesus spoke in a parable about the man who found a pearl of great price hidden in a field, and went to sell everything he owned to buy that field.

Connecting the dots, I think it means that our ‘pearl of great price’ that is hidden within us should never be found in company with the unclean.

i think you might see this verse in light of the verse that says we should guard our hearts above all things, for out of it comes the wellspring of life.

yes, i think you can apply it to the gospel. yes, i think you can apply it to ‘deeper truths’ of the spiritual life - much of it seems ridiculous to someone who doesn’t have faith. the Bible says that the gospel is foolishness to them that don’t believe.

i think it basically means use wisdom and discretion in deciding what to share with people, especially those who denigrate your faith or world view.

i add these thoughts to the excellent ones already posted, not to correct, but merely to add thoughts for consideration.

[quote=adnauseum]I suggest it means don’t denigrate the good news by offering it to someone who isn’t disposed to listen to it.

If you find someone who is openly hostile to the gospel, being sarcastic, disrespectful, then walk away. But if they seem to have a genuine interest, then present the treasure to them.

Jesus sent the disciples out to spread the good news, but he told them if they were not welcomed in any town, to kick the dust from that town off their shoes and move on.
[/quote]

This is my take on it as well. It goes hand in hand however with something else that St. Peter wrote:

But even if you do suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts reverence Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, yet do it with gentleness and reverence; and keep your conscience clear, so that, when you are abused, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing right, if that should be God’s will, than for doing wrong. 1 Peter 3:14-17

[quote=MT 7:6 (KJV)]Do not give dogs what is holy; and do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under foot and turn to attack you.
[/quote]

I also hear here that Christian holies (sacraments, sacramentals, etc.) are not to be distributed willy-nilly to those not properly disposed.

I always thought that this was saying do not associate with people of low moral charcter or they will take the heart you give them in friendship and stomp it into the ground and destroy you. I have often felt it applied perhaps to wittnessing to people who are clearly not interested. I wouldn’t walk into a hells angels rally and start preaching the Gospel less I be shot dead. It seems more a comment on general wisdom with multiple applications. Or am I mistaken? The swine reference seems pretty clear in this.

-D

[left]Under the Mosaic Law dogs and swine were unclean animals and here the terms are used to depict wicked people. When we meet vicious people who treat divine truths with utter contempt and respond to our preaching of the claims of Christ with abuse and violence, we are not obligated to continue to share the gospel with them. To press the matter only brings increased condemnation to the offenders. [/left]

[left]Needless to say, it requires spiritual perception to discern these people. [/left]

%between% %between%

[quote=awalt][left] Needless to say, it requires spiritual perception to discern these people. [/left]

[/quote]

Yes, sometimes they’re in your own family or workplace!!!

[quote="sparkle, post:9, topic:13434"]
Yes, I know what you mean. Sometimes it seems to take some effort first, before you really realize that you're casting pearls before swine. Once you realize it, then it's the "all you can do is pray".

I have some very nasty relatives who have nothing but negative things to say about the RCC, yet they continue to pester me and ask questions, then when I answer them, they throw another dart. I've finally said to myself it's not even worth it to entertain a discussion with them any more. I will pray for them, now it's the Holy Spirit's job to take it from here.

[/quote]

I agree with this!

This is from St. Thomas Aquinas commentary on Matthew

It ought to be observed, therefore, what is signified by ‘holy’ and what is signified by ‘pearl.’ Augustine says: “Holy things are kept inviolate and immaculate; and precious pearls ought not to be despised.” By ‘dogs,’ which tear with their teeth, heretics are signified; by ‘swine,’ which trample with their feet, the unclean are signified. Therefore, to give holy things to dogs is to administer holy things to heretics. Likewise, if something spiritual is consecrated, and this is despised, it is given to swine. Or, by ‘holy things,’ the ecclesiastical sacraments are signified; by ‘pearls,’ the mysteries of truth are signified. A dog is an entirely unclean animal; a pig is partly unclean, and partly not unclean. By ‘dogs,’ the infidels are signified; by ‘swine,’ the bad faithful are signified. Therefore, Give not that which is holy to dogs, that is, do not give the sacraments to infidels. The ‘pearls,’ that is, the spiritual interpretations, ought not to be given to swine; “The sensual man perceiveth not these things that are of the Spirit of God” (I Cor. 2, 14), that is, lest they despise them; “A soul that is full shall tread upon the honeycomb” (Prov. 27, 7). Hence, turning, to sins, they tear, because they despise, or they raise objections. But why? Did not Christ say many things to the infidels, and they were trampling upon His words? I say that He did this for the sake of the good men who were with the bad men, who thereafter were profiting.

[quote="sparkle, post:17, topic:13434"]
Yes, sometimes they're in your own family or workplace!!!!!

[/quote]

Yep, and one of them is my boss. :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.